History searching on this site.

Hi all,

I am trying to find trip reports from 1999, 2004 and maybe 2006. The 1999 incident was written up as a safety report and was on the old site as a warning about cold water paddling. It was off Whaleback in Portsmouth Harbor. It involves me and others, a surprise boomer wave, rocks and a textbook rescue in interesting conditions in November. Late October 2004 Essex Bay involves myself and three other paddlers, 7-10' waves after a big storm, OBE's by three of us, yard sales, lost and broken equipment etc. and self rescues ( sort of). It was written up in the style of Reservoir  Dogs with Mr. Red, Mr. Blue etc. There is another that was a Helo rescue in Essex Bay. That should be found and available IMO. 

I doubt I have a copy of October 04 in print but will start looking. I tried searching just now but didn't find it but have limited time today. Prefer to find the original texts so people can see it is not a fish story. 

When the swell or winds come into Essex Bay it is rather fun or terrifying depending on your perspective and skills.  

On the search page, click More Options, and then set starting and ending dates for Date Created.

Searched for 'rescue' in Topics (nspn.org)

It looks like there are no forum topics prior to Sept 2001, so anything before that isn't online, at least not on this server.

It would be useful to bundle some of these "near miss" trip reports together as a learning and discussion aid for future paddlers. NSPN's own "Deep Trouble" series.

Nov 2001: https://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/2790-post-t-day-rescue/

June 2006: https://www.nspn.org/forum/topic/1484-kayakers-flip-off-plum-island/

Edited by Dan Foster

Page 50 is October 2004.  I can't find the trip, Paul.  There is one trip just entitled "*" with over 3,000 views and many comments, but when you click on it, nothing.  Maybe it was removed?

i think Dan's idea of bundling these is a good one.

Edited by prudenceb

Well, I guess my request kicked off a session of various folks looking under rocks for various posts. As usual there are interesting things lurking there even if the object of desire cannot be found... lots of interesting reading and NSPN time travel.

I have looked for posts relating the Oct. 2004 incident using a number of search engines and keyword combinations, as well as NSPN's own advanced-search form. I reliably keep turning up Paul's various mentions of the incident — but not the incident itself. So my theory FWIW is that it was either never on the site, or has since been removed.

I love the NSPN Deep Trouble anthology idea, and the above Plum Island incident is surely a great place to start!

It was some period of time after 10/04 before we did write it up. I will do more research and see what I can find. The 11/99 (I believe) incident was also added as a permanent "tab" or link under a safety tab on the old website.

I love history and also love how our minds play with recollections. So thanks and bear with me.