Any Practice Sessions (Walden?) Planned?

Ken

It really bummed me out to miss the first paddle of the season but I passed on the cold weather paddle this last weekend as I'm recovering from a torn ligament in one hand. I didn't want to find out after paddling three miles that it hurt too much to paddle back three miles.  But I feel like I'm getting to the point where I could "paddle around" a bit, just not to/from anywhere as I suspect, when I'm done, I'm done, and don't want to push it.   So I'm curious if anyone is planning any practice sessions like at Walden.

-Ken

Short answer.... Yes.

Walden Pond sessions have struggled in the past years due to overcrowding of the parking lot, so those sessions tend to be more sporadic, but still a long-time favorite due to its location and history.  Chebacco Lake sessions typically start mid-May to early June, depending on weather and water temperatures.  There are occasional algae blooms to keep us away, but tends to be rare.  There have also been some salt-water-based practice sessions held around the Portsmouth area (if I remember correctly), which has lot's of sheltered water to play in, as well as opportunities to explore open water.

I don't see any overwhelming reasons why these sessions couldn't run again this summer, albeit there will be the potential conundrum of vaccinated and unvaccinated people commingling together, so I would expect social distancing protocols to remain in effect at least into the summer.  My recommendations would be to keep an eye on the Trips forum as well as the calendar for posted sessions as they get scheduled.

I had a conversation recently with one of the other Walden regulars. Maybe others will chime in as well, with their thoughts and interest level in a weekly Walden-area session.

The construction at Walden which constrained the parking is finished. The park will likely still shut down due to overcrowding on really nice (hot) days. There are some alternate locations in the area: Whites Pond in Concord, Heart Pond in Chelmsford, Lake Whitehall in Hopkinton, Lake Cochituate in Framingham. A few years ago I organized some river paddles during the overcrowded nights at Walden.

My current thinking is that I'm going to be an occasional-at-best attendee in mid-week practice sessions this season, maybe once a month after an initial "does my roll still work?" check-up. I'll be more likely to show up for camping trips, the occasional ocean day trip, and I might try to organize some longer down-river paddles if we get some big storms and a good downstream push in the next month.

In the past we've had good success with Bill's model: a recurring weekly timeslot at Walden, with a go/no-go decision the day before if enough people commit to attending that session. "Walden Wednesdays" has a nice ring to it, but those members who expect to be regular attendees should pick a night that works best for them, and the rest of us can join when it works out with our schedules.

Now that my second vaccination is scheduled, I have started dreaming about resuming kayaking.  I have loved attending and promoting Walden pond sessions in the past when my body permitted.  So I checked out the status of the Walden Pond State Reservation.

• Walden Pond sessions have been a great deal for Massachusetts residents 62 and older who can purchase a lifetime parking pass for $10.
  • They have been a good deal for regulars who can purchase a $60 annual parking pass as a Massachusetts resident.
  • The $8 single day pass for Massachusetts residents is fairly reasonable.
  • UNFORTUNATELY, apparently because of COVID, annual parking passes are NO LONGER AVAILABLE for non-residents.
  • The non-resident single day pass rate is $30.

I am currently a New Hampshire resident, and I am not willing to pay $30 per day to attend Walden pond sessions.  If my body cooperates, I hope to attend some other NSPN events, but I do not expect to attend Walden this year.

11 hours ago, billvoss said:

• The non-resident single day pass rate is $30.

I am currently a New Hampshire resident, and I am not willing to pay $30 per day to attend Walden pond sessions.  If my body cooperates, I hope to attend some other NSPN events, but I do not expect to attend Walden this year.

Ouch.  I totally don't blame you for skipping on that.  (I'm eight months too young for the $10 lifetime pass but will get one next year.  Even I used to go to Laka Cochituate or Walden once a year, it would then be worth it.)

Edited by Ken

I have been very irregular at Walden since paddleboards took over the pond a few years ago bc parking can be very difficult late afternoon.  Also, Wednesday is not a good day because of Joe and Bob's weekly Wednesday lunch paddles that will hopefully resume in May.

HOWEVER, I would be interested in doing MORNING Walden sessions with folks who have the flexibility to go then.  If anyone is interested in that, please weigh in here.  (A few years ago I was actually meeting regularly with two other people before six am and I'd happily do that again!)

Prudence

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, carpy said:

Non-Wednesday morning sessions at Walden would be very interesting to me!  What days work best for you, Prudence? I'd love to meet you there.

Great!  I'd be happy to meet you...and others!...there.  Probably want to wait a bit for slightly warmer water...or not?  Anybody else interested?  Maybe Thursday would be good for gear cleaning!

Edited by prudenceb

I was thinking the same — Thursday Rinse and Roll. I can go pretty early, but I wonder if a little later would attract more takers. 7am? 8am? 9am? 

I hope others will post interest, preferred days and times. 

Maybe start in a week or two?

Edited by carpy

14 hours ago, carpy said:

I was thinking the same — Thursday Rinse and Roll. I can go pretty early, but I wonder if a little later would attract more takers. 7am? 8am? 9am? 

I hope others will post interest, preferred days and times. 

Maybe start in a week or two?

I'm in!  C'mon folks...join us!  But makes sense to meet after 7 am, which is when main parking lot opens.  Until then, boat ramp parking can be taken up with swimmers.  Last year I went early early and no spaces open.  After main lot is open, swimmers go there.  Early in season may not be an issue, but when it gets warmer, the early am swimmers do dominate!