Archival Revival #6

gyork

Probably a record # of NSPN paddlers captured on (and near) the water, @ Jewell, 4.5 years ago.

1. Starting on bottom right, and proceeding clockwise, identify by first name only, the 17 participants in the photo (bonus points for 2 hidden figures, top left).

2. Excluding the photographer, who is the ONE missing from the photo?

IMGP0054.thumb.jpg.ce3d1dfc37ed11f7ebf223a8d1f0e20a.jpg

<Probably a record # of NSPN paddlers captured on (and near) the water...>

Come on, Gary: there were at least that number of paddlers caught on film, being towed by the Leon-machine, years back when we presented our founder with his Explorer, just before he left for foreign climes!  Were you not there?  And then there were plenty more <not> being towed by him, but merely watching the proceedings from their boats in Marblehead harbour...now <that> day would have been some sort of NSPN record!  Good try, though... 

Gary has the record for recent paddles..

The day we sent Bob off was a nice get together and a large group came out. Were you at Squam October 2000? Believe you were in Sirius? Red/white?

The number was around 50 I think and you should recognize a few..

Squam Oct.2000.pdf

8 hours ago, Pintail said:

<Probably a record # of NSPN paddlers captured on (and near) the water...>

........years back when we presented our founder with his Explorer, just before he left for foreign climes!  Were you not there?  

Please forgive me, as a youngster and relative newbie to the club. I'm sorry to have missed the momentous occasion, as well as Paul's recollection (and proof) of the crowd at Squam.

Glad to here the stories and see pix of times gone by. Thanks for the contributions!

After that Squam trip they told us not to bring so many kayakers ever again.

Another too-big trip was the NSPN-RICKA-Connyak multi-club trip in CT.

August  25,  2001, Saturday      
      Jamestown Circumnavigation
      Time: 9:00am 

I can't remember how many paddlers came. But we gave up on the multi-club trip idea after that.

Liz

On 12/17/2020 at 11:04 AM, Pintail said:

<Were you at Squam October 2000? Believe you were in Sirius? Red/white?>

Shoot!  Yes, you are so right, Sylvester-san!  Correct on the boat, too -- oh, lots familiar faces there; but names?  Some...

Jed, Chad and Mike Sabin show in the picture. I would have to look again for others..

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2020 at 12:33 AM, Pintail said:

Come on, Gary: there were at least that number of paddlers caught on film, being towed by the Leon-machine, years back when we presented our founder with his Explorer, just before he left for foreign climes! 

Yes, that was a great day towing Bob Burnett and a train behind him, Sir Christopher. Another memorable day for me was towing the great Derek Hutchinson and a half dozen kayaks behind him after the Run of the Charles race. Since then, it's been easy tows for me like rescuing two nondescript women on SUPs who were caught in a strong ebb tide in the Palm Beach Inlet.

Fun Rescue.JPG

On 1/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, Pintail said:

Curious minds want to know, Sir Leon: exactly which rescue technique did you employ on this occasion?  (Or...which line did you use?)  ;^)

Okay, here goes: I had been trolling for tarpon in the ocean along the shore of Palm Beach. After an hour or two I gave up and began paddling back into the bay. The bay (it’s called the Lake Worth Lagoon) is connected to the ocean via the Palm Beach Inlet.

Half way back through the inlet I spotted the two women on SUPs in the middle of the channel frantically trying to paddle against the current but making no headway (the ebb tide was flowing at about 2 knots). Given that there were fast cruisers in the inlet’s channel I thought the gals were in danger so I raised the Riviera Beach Marine Unit on channel 16. But, because of the immediate danger (see the picture of what it looks like when cruisers are barreling through the inlet) I decided the gals had better get out of the channel ASAP.  

I didn’t have a tow line so I unfastened my paddle lanyard and told the first woman to fasten it to my stern toggle, hold the end and for the second woman to hold the back of the first woman’s SUP, both lying down. When that was completed, I towed the two of them close to the jetty far away from the busy channel. Then I began a slow tow towards the beach at Peanut Island in the bay (there were some whistling fisherman on the jetty enjoying the view).

As we approached Peanut Island the marine unit came out to meet us. We were all safe at that point so the gals let go, stood up on their boards and paddled the rest of the way to shore. I followed them and someone took the picture I posted above.

So, that’s the short version of the story that I told my wife. It’s basically true.

Separately, I include three more pictures from yesterday when I biked over to Mar-a-Lago.

IMGP3003c.jpg

20210201_142721.jpg

20210201_142717.jpg

20210201_143419 (2).jpg

47 minutes ago, leong said:

So, that’s the short version of the story that I told my wife. It’s basically true.

Well, if that’s the short version of the story that you told your wife, it makes total sense that you tell us the same story. Consistency helps in “basically true” cases like this.?

2 hours ago, Inverseyourself said:

They would just skip the metal detector anyway?

If you look just behind the top of the restricted area sign, you'll see a white SUV. There were two Secret Service guys there. When I started to enter that driveway on my bike one of them immediately came towards me with a machine gun pointed at the ground. I told him I was just taking some pictures and asked if I could take his picture too. He emphatically said no, but I could take a picture of the sign.

It was a handheld machine gun not nearly as big as the machine gun mounted on the bow of the CG boat guarding Mar-a-lago in the picture below. The other picture below is what Mar-a-Lago looks like from the bay side (Palm Beach is a barrier island).

I took both pictures when I paddled to Mar-a-lago along the bay side. It was the day when Prime Minister Abe was there. The CG wouldn't allow me to get close enough to get pictures of people. I've sailed and paddled to Mar-a-Lago on the ocean side too; however, whenever Mr. Orange is there the CG forces you out farther from shore or makes you turn around.

CG at Mar-a-Lago.JPG

IMGP0020.JPG

Edited by leong