Portugese Man o'war

josko

I've seen two Portuguese man o'war jellyfish in Buzzards Bay this week, and have a reliable report they are 'unusually' thick this year roughly 30-60 miles south of Martha's Vineyard and Block island. 

This is a good time to think about what to do if encountering one, or if someone in your party got stung. 

Might be worth packing a bottle of vinegar in the boat if paddling the warmer waters of the southern NE coastline.  New research has identified that vinegar is best at neutralizing the toxins.  They also state to NOT rinse with salt water, as that seems to just spread the micro-stingers and increase the reaction.  If you can have some sort of heat pack as well (there are some reusable gel heat packs on the market), those might help as well to reduce swelling after stingers are removed (need gloves to remove).

Without getting mired in rescue-scenario details, based on the individual's reactions to the sting, I would follow up with an immediate evacuation, either return to the put-in, the nearest populated landing (for readily-gained assistance), or possibly call for a May-Day if chest pains or shortness of breath ensue.  Basically, the individual should be gotten off the water and seek some level of medical attention, even if just simple home remedies will suffice.

Rob,

is the recommendation for hot packs a specific recommendation for jellyfish stingers?  I would have thought initial application of cooling to reduce swelling in the immediate period after insult.

Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Allen said:

Rob,

is the recommendation for hot packs a specific recommendation for jellyfish stingers?  I would have thought initial application of cooling to reduce swelling in the immediate period after insult.

Phil

Actually, the recommendation for hot packs was specifically in research for Man O'War, which happens to not to be a jelleyfish.  However, I got the impression that vinegar will work for most, if not all, jelleyfish stings, and the researchers are trying to get information out that it will work well for the Man O'War as well, and therefore a unified approach to any jelleyfish-like creature could be utilized.

2 hours ago, Phil Allen said:

Rob,

Phil

Read article about treatment.  It said hot water or hot pack inactivates remaining tentacles/toxins after vinegar has done initial job.  Article said cold application makes it worse.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:11 AM, Phil Allen said:

Rob,

Phil

Below is an excerpt from the NEJM article. Isopropyl alcohol (possibly more prevalent in people’s cars now during the pandemic), olive oil or sugar (nearby restaurant?) and urine (someone always has to pee in a group but I would understand if people felt that this should be reserved as a second or third line option, unless it’s your own) are mentioned as alternatives to vinegar. Of note, the affected area has to be continuously flushed/immersed for 30 minutes or until pain subsides, which has a bearing on how much of the remedy you (can) carry with you.

An Ice pack -intuitive - is recommended in the article.

Some folks may just carry their run-of-the-mill unseasoned meat tenderizer or papaya latex with them as a matter of principle, just in case.

COELENTERATE STINGS

When someone is stung by a coelenterate (hydroid, fire coral, jellyfish, or sea anemone), the wound should be soaked in 5 percent acetic acid (vinegar). This is the decontaminant of choice, and it should be applied liberally, particularly for stings of the box-jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri) and other Indo-Pacific species. The leading alternative is isopropyl alcohol (40 to 70 percent), although some argue that this causes discharge of cnidae venom in vitro. The detoxicant should be applied continuously for at least 30 minutes or until the pain disappears. Other detoxicants reported to be effective include dilute ammonium hydroxide, sodium bicarbonate, olive oil, sugar, urine, and papain (unseasoned meat tenderizer or papaya latex). None of these are reliable or superior to vinegar or alcohol. Solvents such as ether, formalin, and gasoline are toxic to tissues and are contraindicated.

For coelenterate stings acquired in North America or Caribbean coastal waters, fresh water should not be applied directly to the wound as the primary decontaminant. The wound should not be abraded with a cloth or bandage. These will worsen the envenomation. Ice packs may be applied to the skin, but they should be free of leaks or surface condensation.24Next, the physician should remove any visible large tentacles with forceps or a doubly gloved hand. After the primary decontamination, the physician should remove any remaining nematocysts by applying a layer of shaving foam and shaving the area gently.

Edited by Inverseyourself