Re-purpose a drysuit

Lisa

I have an old Stohlquist dry suit. It is at least 7 or 8 years old. Sadly, it leaks. I reached out to the company and it is too old to repair and they no longer make it. Just curious if anyone has any ideas on ways to recycle or purpose a dry suit? Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Brian Nystrom said:

Lisa, if the drysuit is one of the older Gore-Tex models from Stohlquist, Gore will replace it with a Gore-Tex suit of your choice from another manufacturer. I got a new Kokatat Gore-Tex suit to replace a Stolhquist suit that was delaminating. It only cost me the postage to ship the old suit to Gore.

Thanks Brian. How do I contact the Gore-Tex company? This is great information. I appreciate it. 

I can't find my notes regarding who I spoke with, but if you just search online for "Gore-Tex Warranty", you should find plenty of information on how to contact them about a warranty claim. I don't recall the name of the person I dealt with, but he was great. After I sent the suit back and he checked it over, he contacted me and told me to pick any suit from the Kokatat catalog that I wanted. It arrived within a week or two. The suit I wanted was actually a slight upgrade from the Stolhquist in terms of features and I offered to pay the difference, but they refused to take any money and just sent me the suit.

This is why I have been such an ardent supporter of Gore-Tex; their warranty is the best in the business and they absolutely stand behind their products. Their fabrics  also perform exceedingly well and are more durable than anything else I've owned. So far, I've had three Gore-Tex garments replaced free of charge.

Just to be sure here, your suit is definitely Gore-Tex, right? It should be tagged as such, if it is.

Josko, 

Sadly not.  My Palm drysuit died way too early and Palm were having none of it.  Very poor customer service compared with Kokotat/ Goretex - you get what you pay for I guess.  Does anyone want a sea-kayaker scarecrow?

Nick 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:19 AM, josko said:

Stuff with straw and float in the harbor for Halloween.

Don't do that. The CG has enough trouble.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/Coast-Guard-Finds-Missing-Kayaker-Off-Gloucester-560365471.html

Who is this Nystrom fellow who keeps turning up here, chipping in and offering expert advice, I wonder?  There <was> one such who used to paddle many moons ago; but he quit sea-kayaking and went to play on a bicycle among the busy, traffic-laden roads and highways.  I am sure he must have been run over by now  (dangerous business, that!) and suddenly we start to see a similar name crop up -- <must> be a case of identity-theft?!  

I could be wrong...

Nah, who in their right mind would want to be me???

I'm still "keeping the rubber side down", but Linda had a mishap recently and is currently recovering from some minor injuries. I finished refurbishing all of our boats recently and we're still planning to get back on the water, but unfortunately that can't happen until Linda is back to "ship shape".