rfolster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, eneumeier said:

Friends, it is not as though your village is starving and you MUST go get a seal. Liz

Well put, Liz!

I seriously doubt whether I have clothes, particularly for hands and feet, that would keep me warm enough.  Also, since I have not yet won the lottery - which would have allowed me to hire servants to meet me at water's edge at end of polar paddle and carry boat and gear for me and affix former to roof of car and stash latter in trunk...and cut me out of dry suit because I'd just buy another for the next planned paddle...and have car warmed up and heat going full blast for me - well, since lottery earnings haven't made all this possible (yet!), I think conditions too much for me.   My only regret in not going would be missing out on an adventure (trip report!) that would live in history.

So...without change in conditions, I am pretty much a no.  Remember, everyone, last year the New Year's Day paddle was a day late...to take advantage of better conditions.  New Years Day Paddle should more sensisbly be named "First of the New Year Paddle," which would allow it to occur whenever we could do it and not freeze.  Just sayin'...

Prudence       ps...anyone insane enough to go out, sounds as though ski goggles as well as full face cover in order.  Even an inch of exposed skin is an inch too much!  Winning lottery would also allow me to purchase ski goggles...

33 minutes ago, mhabich said:

Let them starve. I’m not paddling. 

Well, maybe we don't have to starve.  Since everyone was thinking about paddling on Monday and that might not happen, how about  PPPO that day, minus the first two P s?

we like AB Burger in Beverly...  or anywhere...

Anyone interested?

Prudence

This has been a helpful thread—especially Rob’s wind chill chart. Anxious as I am to gain cold weather paddling experience, I don’t have the gear to make this a smart paddle for me. I like Pru’s idea of a later January date when the weather moderates a bit...till then, see you in the pool!

Drove by the ocean in Hampton NH today and it was totally socked in with "sea smoke" which is is a phenomenon that occurs when very cold air moves over the warmer water.  It was super dense, and we could barely see maybe 100' off the shoreline.  Add this with the point forecast for Monday in Salem Sound trending downward:  NW wind around 11 kt, with gusts as high as 26 kt. Sunny. Seas 1 to 2 ft. High: 11 degrees.  Since I need to work in an unheated garage all next week, I think I will take whatever warm refuge I can and stay home.  We will need to see how long this cold is going to last, because it looks to be hanging around for a while!

23 hours ago, prudenceb said:

Well, maybe we don't have to starve.  Since everyone was thinking about paddling on Monday and that might not happen, how about  PPPO that day, minus the first two P s?

we like AB Burger in Beverly...  or anywhere...

Anyone interested?

Prudence

I was having the same thought Prudence.  I’m in for food.

JOIN US FOR A NEW YEAR'S DAY MEAL!

Please weigh in about getting together for New Years Day meal.  So far, Mike, Cathy (and Rob?), David and I have said yes.  I will be happy to make rez. Where?  I suggested AB Burger in Beverly.  Other suggestions?  I would like to make rez ASAP.  Will need accurate number - ie, no last minute ”I'm in,s”'if we're going to AB.  They are NOT very flexible.  Other suggestions welcome!

I was thinking 1-2 pm ish.

Prudence

Hey Folks,

Loosely considering travel time for all that have posted interest (North Shore, Metro North, Cambridge and Southern New Hampshire)  this is one "central" option in WIlmington MA off of I-93 in Wilmington.  https://redheattavern.com/

I've been there once and was very happy with the ambience, and menu.

Any interest?  I'd be glad to make the reservation for say 1:30 PM (Per the suggestion earlier in the thread).