B. bay near-accident

josko

I hate it when they call people like this "experienced kayakers". The fact that someone has paddled a bit doesn't mean that they have any idea what they're doing and this moniker reflects badly on all of us when some dumbass screws up. Paddling ~6 miles on open water, at night, with no means of communication is just plain stupid and irresponsible. Questions of whether he should have done it at all aside, if he'd at least had a radio, he'd have been rescued quickly and wouldn't have put a huge scare into family/friends or caused a broad and expensive search. Wanna' bet that he had no means of signalling rescuers either?

Perhaps if the headlines started with "Irresponsible dimwit in a kayak" instead, it might make people think before they do something stupid. Making them sound like brave victims just encourages bad behavior.

On 7/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, Brian Nystrom said:

I hate it when they call people like this "experienced kayakers".

I hear you mate. It's a big nomenclature problem in this sport. Unfortunately, the word kayaker is used for novices who paddle fat bathtub-looking kayaks as well as experienced people who can paddle long and skinny sea kayaks in rough water. I wonder if technical mountain climbers would mind being called hill strollers?

Our sport needs a more unique terminology. Any ideas?

Sadly, there's just not enough distinction between various groups of kayakers to be understandable to the general public and frankly, I doubt that the press would care enough to use any terminology we came up with. When you say "kayaker", I'm sure most people probably envision whitewater kayakers, since that's the only thing they typically see on TV.

Beyond that, where do you draw the line(s)? There are no general-purpose kayaker rankings and people can claim to have any skill level they want. I suspect that as with drivers, most paddlers think that they're more skilled than they actually are.

1 hour ago, Brian Nystrom said:

Sadly, there's just not enough distinction between various groups of kayakers to be understandable to the general public and frankly, I doubt that the press would care enough to use any terminology we came up with. When you say "kayaker", I'm sure most people probably envision whitewater kayakers, since that's the only thing they typically see on TV.

Beyond that, where do you draw the line(s)? There are no general-purpose kayaker rankings and people can claim to have any skill level they want. I suspect that as with drivers, most paddlers think that they're more skilled than they actually are.

We have the ACA, which has a structured learning system, and you can be certified as having achieved a specific level with specific skills.

Also the British Canoeing system - same deal.

Perhaps we as more advanced kayakers could promote those more.

I'm aware of that, but I'll bet that less than 1% of paddlers actually bother with either system, which is why I didn't mention them. While I'm a big believer in paddler education, the sad fact is that most people are not going to spend the money for the necessary training, then spend even more for a certification that's largely meaningless in the long run. I hold certifications in several things that I couldn't possibly do competently today.

If the Coast Guard came up with a paddling equivalent to the Power Squadron, that might be something that the general paddling populace would embrace. Unfortunately, it the training isn't cheap or free, people simply won't do it because nothing is compelling them to. And no, I'm not advocating licensing for paddlers or anything of the kind. That would be a disaster!

The nomenclature problem also applies to "boats". Is a 10' recreational kayak used on a lake the same as a sea kayak used on the same lake. Too bad there isn't a unique name for more advanced kayaks.

End of my rant. It's not a big problem in the scheme of things.