Kayak Touring Helmet advice

Dabend

I need to get a helmet for general sea kayaking and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. I was looking at the WRSI Trident because I liked the visor but I see it has no vents and I worry it will be too hot in the summer. Would love to find out what others use.

Thanks,

David

My helmet of choice is the Gath Gedi.  It has vents but can also be blocked in the winter for the extra warmth.  The brim is flexible and removable.  Additionally the back of the helmet adds quite a bit of protection to the back of the head.

Jonathan 

Get one that FITS your head.  That is the most important aspect.  There are many helmets I would like to own that simply don't fit my head.

I happen to use the Strutter.  It does not have vents which means I do not get sunburn stripes on my head, and in the summer I sometimes use it as an impromptu pail to poor a little water over myself on those rare occasions I don't feel like rolling instead.

I got the adjustable size rental model that REI sells (i think it's made by NRS but i'm not sure) I like the adjustability because I like to be able to wear something under it, or not, as temps dictate, and I like to be able to change what i'm wearing easily during the day.

The Strutter and the Gath helmets are very well regarded you see them a lot on the heads of experienced sea kayakers. They are  "high end", meaning pricey compared with NRS or Protec helmets, which are also popular and well used. I have an old Strutter that was getting beat up, chin straps wearing out ,  and now have a Sweet Protection Wanderer .  Its very well cushioned and comfy, and so it is also is a good cold weather  helmet  as it insulates  my head., but in the summer  it might  be hot (I wear a helmet almost all the time when paddling ) so  I'd  rather wear a less padded  helmet then . 

Yes, get what comfortably  fits your head : heads , like  hands or feet, are unique to each person, so what  works for one person  might not apply to another .   

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I ended up going with the Gath Gedi which I customized using sandpaper. As with ski boots, you always want to make a small helmet bigger than a big helmet smaller.

Thanks,

David

• 1 month later...