Originating e-mail address

bob budd

When I send e-mail using the e-mail icon from work it uses the work e-mail address. Is there a way to get it to use the e-mail address in the user profile?

First, let me apologize to all "real paddlers" for clogging the message board with techie talk.

Second, let me perhaps save anyone who trips upon this thread the reading of same. If you want to send e-mail using the e-mail icons in the messages with a specific "from" address you need to install a second e-mail client, set it up with your desired e-mail info, and designate it as the default e-mail client. For Windows (which most of you are unfortunately using) the procedure is something like "start > settings > control panel > internet options > Programs > E-mail". The exact path may vary with Windows versions, only applies to Windows.

OR

you can generate the e-mail message dialog box by clicking the e-mail icon and paste the "to" address into your chosen e-mail client or web mailer. This would be applicable to any operating system where you can generate the dialog box with "to" address.

The message board isn't doing the sending. It's just a mailto link that the browser then starts your default e-mail client. Thus the e-mail is being sent from your work e-mail address.

-Jason

Assuming you are using outlook, set up another e-mail address.

When you are clicking on the mail icon, it will bring up an e-mail. On the toolbar, there will be a drop down that says "accounts" that will allow you to designate which e-mail address you are using when sending.

Suzanne

Thanks but not the problem. At work you want your e-mail to originate from your work e-mail address. Responding to stuff through the message board or other web services grabs the default e-mail address. So you might set up a second e-mail account on the existing mail client or another mail client with the desired (non-work) e-mail address and designate it as the default. There is a workaround where you use the message board (or other web service) to generate the e-mail message but don't send it, copy the "to" address to your personal e-mail client, and send it that way. The intent is not to miss a response because its sitting on your work account. What happens when you are at a remote site such as the library, where you don't have an e-mail account or client?

On your browser, under Tools, Internet Options there is a place where you can change the default email. There's options of Outlook and Hotmail but not one for Yahoo or anything else. I was looking through the .cfg files to see if there was a parameter to set in there but had no luck. Does anyone know if there is such a setting?

I think that option

internet explorer > tools > internet options

is just another way of getting you to the generic internet options for Windows, which you also get to without the browser by

start > settings > control panel > internet options

Changing the e-mail there (with programs > e-mail) simply switches which program you use for e-mail, like Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird, etc. It does not change your default return address. That you have to do withn your own e-mail program, in whatever way it provides.

--David.

Most e-mail clients have the option to change accounts before sending a message -- Eudora and Outlook are two I know that have that feature.

So, with them you need not set up an entirely new client in the OS -- a fairly weighty step; and you have to remember to undo it later -- just a new account that has the and addresses you want. Then, you need to remember to change accounts before sending the message. I do it all the time when I send "home" e-mail from my "work" system, and vice-versa.

Alternatively, you can change the default account in your client before you click in NSPN. But as with changing client altogether, you then have to remember to change it back afterwards. The funtion to change e-mail account on a message-by-message basis is more transient, and therefore seems more appropriate.

--David.