Werner paddle issues

spuglisi

I know a lot of members use werner paddles . Wondering if anyone has had the same issue I'm having. I use an Ikelos...I paddle hard and also use it surfing but I don't abuse the paddle...I don't lean on it when getting in and out of my boat...don't use it as a pry bar or anything like that The problem is that the paddle has developed quite a bit of play at the ferrule. The female half has become somewhat conical, and oval at the opening...it's not a lot ...maybe .005"- .010"..but it's enough to be very noticeable. As a temporary fix I've used some teflon tape on the male end to take up the play. This works pretty well but needs to be touched up after each paddle. I plan on contacting Werner about the problem but I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this and what solution , if any was found.

Thanks in advance.

Sal

Sal, I had a similar problem two years ago with my now-seven year old Werner Cyprus. Like you, I never "abused" my paddle, although I've always used it in rocks, surf, and during pool sessions when I'd occasionally hit the sides of the pool. During a session, I noticed that it was wiggly when I rolled, to the point where it almost came apart when I was coming up.

I called Werner and they directed me to repair, where I received a Referral number and a person and an address to send the paddle to. I packaged it up, insured it for its full replacement value (although I DID NOT send it through the USPS, but used FedEx and a local mailing/packaging facility); once they received my paddle, Werner sent me a brand new, tags still on it Cyprus to use in the interim.

Werner replaced the ferrule, polished the blades up, and sent it back to me in two weeks time. There was nominal cost for the repair as the paddle was well out of warranty, but I was more than pleased with the prompt service and Werner's attitude.

Hope this helps.

Deb

In case Werner doesn't come through for you, there's a relatively simple solution you can try. Mix up some epoxy and lightly coat the worn area(s). Allow it to cure FULLY, then carefully fit the two halves back together by lightly sanding away any excess epoxy until you achieve a perfect fit. If you happen to have fumed silica (Cabosil) available, adding it to the epoxy makes it more abrasion and wear resistant.

You may have to repeat this process every season or two, but it will keep your paddle working well indefinitely. BTW, the same technique works for worn adjuster/spring clip holes in both ends of the shaft.

I actually used superglue to achieve the same effect as the epoxy recommendation for my Epic paddle.  I was noticing the feather was slipping because the lever lock wasn't clamping tightly enough.  After investigating I realized the lever lock itself was fine, but the shaft had actually worn down just enough to begin slipping, I guess due to the amount of use (4 seasons, ~400 sessions)   It was the same process -- apply a very light/thin film of glue to the worn area, allow to cure, then sand with fine-grit paper and if necessary reapply and resand until proper fit has been restored.  It's been great since, and only cost about a nickel's worth of glue to fix :)

Matt

One layer of medical tape (something like this) wrapped around the male end kept my Epic Wing from slipping from the feather angle setting.

I had similar problem of excess play at the joint here the two paddle halves  joined. That part can come a bit loose. I dd the Nostrum epoxy  treatment and that worked just fine. In a pinch   (while you're padding) : you can wrap the joint tightly with electricians tape and that'll get you through  the day using your paddle