Tow belts and solo paddling

josko

While setting out on a solo paddle recently, I started wondering why wear a towbelt, and in general about my expectations for aiding kayakers in trouble.  I know USCG says 'one must assist if it is safe to do so', but doubt anyone would quibble with a kayakers statement they did not feel safe towing or actually, offering any assistance.  So I stuck my towbelt in the day hatch and left my big 'group kit' ashore. After my attempt at rescue some years back:

I've become a bit leery of approaching unknown kayakers who appear to be in trouble. So what do folks do and think about this? Do you set out with a full complement of group gear on a solo paddle?

Edited by josko

I don't solo paddle, but if I did, I wouldn't bring group gear, but I would bring what I need to be safe. My list will be very different than anyone else's, so choose as you see fit.  I for one am not going to recommend any uses for any gear that someone has not yet been trained for, so if you can not think of a use for a piece of kit, then don't bring it.  

I always bring my tow belt.

Much of your other group gear works for a single person.  First aid kit, radio, group shelter, spare cloths.  If you bring it, you are much less likely to need it.

As for the tow belt it's something that I won't go on the water without.

If I need to scramble up on rocks I can attach my boat to me and pull it up.

When I am solo I am more diligent about pulling my boat out of the water and tieing it off am I am going to go on a walk.

It allows to to float your boat if your at a place where you can't take it out (someone else's dock etc).

Help others in need.

I usually bring my tow belt, even on solo paddles.   I have three "saves" using it when I was out on my own.   I also like having some length of rope handy, like what Jason said. 

How was Monomoy, Josko?   I was up in Downeast Maine and missed the opportunity. 

Yeah, thanks folks; It's just that I looked at my 'pile' of stuff, and it struck me that it's waay over the top. It's time for reassesment, and I'm wondering if I should try to sort things into solo, follower and leader mode.

Monomoy was spectacular. Since it was an AMC trip, we had a wide range of skills, so had to tow to make schedule in the morning, but were rewarded by a perfect downwind surfing run back from the tip.

Josko:

I would try to avoid the mentality of solo, follower and leader mode. I believe I understand the AMC thing about leaders and followers and will refrain from commenting, but I suggest you really need to think about the mindset.  Not suggeting anything about what your "kit" should be.

Ed Lawson

I often paddle solo in Portsmouth and always have my tow belt with me. Sometimes it may be in a hatch. I have seen too many clue less newbies out in plastic and would have a duty to care if someone was in trouble. Ditto about tying up and clipping off in surf.

It's important to remember that roles on the water can change in a big hurry. While we tend to think in terms of rescuing others, we could easily become the one in need of rescue. Your tow rig might be needed to rescue you at some point, so carrying it always is a good practice.

Still thousands of gray seals around the island. Also, striped bass density was greater than I have ever seen. They were potting on a great show herding and savaging schools of sand eels just off the flats. We picked up the ebb current at the cut and rode it down to the tip, catching a ~3 knot ride around.

On the gear topic, I routinely see people carryng way too much 'safety' and other equipment they know little what to do with.

Edited by josko

4 hours ago, josko said:

On the gear topic, I routinely see people carryng way too much 'safety' and other equipment they know little what to do with.

Can you please provide examples of this too much 'safety' gear?  

1 hour ago, josko said:

Multiple tow belts, VHF's, flashing lights, PFD-mounted Ninja knives, PLBs, SPOT beacons,...

Why wouldn't you carry a VHF? Wouldn't you call for help in an emergency? Don't you like to monitor the weather when it's changing fast? Don't you do a Sécurité  call when crossing a channel in a fog or at night?

Edited by leong

16 hours ago, leong said:

Why wouldn't you carry a VHF? Wouldn't you call for help in an emergency? Don't you like to monitor the weather when it's changing fast? Don't you do a Sécurité  call when crossing a channel in a fog or at night?

Yup. IMHO It's crackers to go out on the ocean without at least one VHF radio in the group, especially a small group (or solo). If something happens that leaves a paddler immobile, it is the best way to summon rapid help, and for solo or pair paddling, maybe the only viable way. What happens need not be related directly to kayaking -- a heart attack or some other debilitating physical event.

As for tow belts -- I will never forget the tale of one very experienced paddler who decided to leave his home one day, only to be confronted by a sudden storm that made a tow belt essential, and he was helpless. Luckily, someone else had theirs along, and all was well in the end.

On 7/4/2016 at 6:04 AM, josko said:

On the gear topic, I routinely see people carrying way too much 'safety' and other equipment they know little what to do with.

I think Josko's point is being missed.  The comment is not to what he does or does not carry, but to those that he perceives carry gear that THEY do not know how to use.  I would first caution how you determine whether or not someone actually knows how to use a piece of gear.  Secondly, it might be worth offering to teach people if they don't know how to use their gear.  Thirdly, I would caution how we describe bits of gear - calling rescue knives "ninja-knives" not only demonstrates your misunderstanding of their purpose (or maybe just your general disdain for their existence), but is also insulting to those who prefer to carry rescue knives, and in turn will make those people question your own judgements.

Ok, Rob, touché. 'Ninja' was over the top. I just  got overtired of people with every conceivable piece of techie 'safety' gear that EMS or LLBean can sell them, and not much of a clue of what to do with any of it, nevermind their strokes.  I am trying to sort my kit into categories and not bring everything everywhere.

And no, I've never made a Securite call in a kayak, but I did have a useful VHF interchange with a tug (and barge) that was bearing down on me once.  

3 hours ago, josko said:

And no, I've never made a Securite call in a kayak, but I did have a useful VHF interchange with a tug (and barge) that was bearing down on me once.  

Oh, so you do carry a VHF. So why did you include VHF's in the list of unnecessary devices for solo paddling? Or is it that you don't think other paddlers know how to properly use a VHF so they shouldn't carry one.

BTW, I'd classify the call you made as equivalent to a directed Securite call; i.e. a Securite call is sometimes "a warning needing to be issued that may concern the safety of life at sea."

• 1 month later...

Josko,

I just remembered why a towline would useful for solo paddling. I didn’t have one on a day when I saw two nondescript women on SUPs. They were caught in an outgoing tide in the Palm Beach Inlet and couldn’t paddle against the current. Luckily a contact tow on one with the other holding the back of the other’s SUP worked.

-Leon

Rescue Palm Beach.JPG