Looking for a recent article on Leadership in Kayaking

cfolster

I am looking for a recent article (might have been a short interview) and it discussed how the whole idea of leading from anywhere but the front is WRONG.  This person, who apparently had lots of kayak leadership experience, said that you have to be at the front to lead.

I seem to have thrown the magazine out.  Does anyone have a copy - I'm not sure what magazine it was in.  I've check Ocean Paddler and Adventure Kayak and can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated and if folks would like to discuss the merits of either style here, feel free!

Phil mentioned seeing or hearing about this article recently, so he may know the source.  I prefer the "position of greatest usefulness" philosophy.  In general, I  prefer to lead from the side or moving back and forth within the group. That being said, there are times when as the leader, you might need to take the lead at the front-to check out a potential hazard, etc... But often it's much easier to see and keep track of the group from the side or even the rear...

I looked in OP and couldn't find such a dogmatic statement about leadership. You have probably seen Simon Osborne's "Leadership" article in OP#41 that just about says most about it (unless you are going for a PhD on this subject). I'll keep searching. No specific help either, I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, EEL said:

So what are the assumed circumstances/conditions for Allen's " must lead from the front" opinion?

Ed Lawson

The impression I got from the article is "always".

Rob:

I was wondering if he distinguished between a guided trip, a club trip with a designated leader, or a trip by a few "mates".

Allen is know for holding different views and it does not surprise me given background he would hold to a dogmatic approach.

Ed Lawson

To be slightly more expansive, here are two quotes from the article:

"You need to be at the front of your group because the people behind you are in your care; it is your duty to be able to dynamically risk assess the waters and coastline ahead of you, which cannot be done effectively from any other position."

"The first serious headwind or tide race will split your group.  Besides, it is the leader's legal and moral responsibility to make the 'dynamic risk assessment' for the paddlers who are within the duty of care.  He or she can only do this from the front."

"Put your number two at the back of your group as your eyes, and turn your head frequently to look back over and assess your group. Always maintain line-of-sight with your number two or 'tail-end Charlie."

So so it seems he's assuming there's a 'number two'. 

I have not read the article....based on the quote above my thought is that Jeff regularly leads and paddles in waters that are a lot more dynamic than most of what we see here on a regular basis and his points about tide races and winds, especially winds coming around a headland are not wrong - that's exactly what's going to happen.  so what he has to say makes a lot of sense......

that being said, i would not discount totally a position of maximum usefulness sort of thing in your travels.

working here in the states, some river current and even on the sea...i use this position of maximum usefulness thinking all the time and will often physically put my boat between an obstacle (dock) and the ducklings in my charge....for the very reason that Jeff cites, moral and legal obligation....I want to be between them and the most imminent danger....where things are liable to go sideways, soonest.

you still communicate with the group....you tell them what's going on and where to go - what the concern is and what to avoid and make sure they have a finite destination (or a 2nd lead to gather to) beyond the danger point and then place yourself between them and that point (with enough room to actually DO something if this goes south)....then if indeed, they get swept to the obstacle/danger point you are LITERALLY right there to correct with a push or a tow.  avoid and minimize risk and consequence.

myself, i would be unlikely to read a portion of anything, take it as dogma and then make all other philosophies verboten....well...until i do, anyways!

have fun