The. Best. Ever. NSPN Easter Bunny Plunge, March 26, 2016

prudenceb

The. Best. NSPN Easter Bunny Plunge. Ever!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Conditions were decidedly not enticing on Saturday morning when seven of us – and soon to become eight – convened at Devereaux Beach in Marblehead for the Fourth Annual Easter Bunny Plunge (held a day early this year in deference to those for whom commitments on Sunday made attendance either difficult or impossible).  It was cold  (temperature in high 30’s) and windy (10-15 knots with gusts 20+ blowing straight at us off the water).  The sky was steely.  In the completely empty harbor, a vista of gray sea with small whitecaps - not the cheerful fiesta of colored yachts at anchor that we are used to seeing at times of year when most normal people go paddling  - greeted us.  Cold cold cold.  Windy windy windy.  No, decidedly not a nice day for paddling. 

Rob, Mike, Dan, Peter, David, Beth and I arrived in dribs and drabs.  By the time I had my boat unloaded on the beach awaiting the planned 10 am launch; by the time I had all my gear packed in it; by the time I had pulled on multiple layers and struggled into my dry suit…by that time, I was actively reconsidering my decision to join the group.  I remembered my unhappy New Years Day paddle – a windy cold day that had ended with an ignominious tow that I have ever since regretted accepting.  Other than the fact it had been a wind from the west that day and it was from the northeast this day, conditions felt remarkably similar.  I asked myself what on earth makes paddling enjoyable when it’s cold and you’re cold.  Well obviously not much.  One can’t control the weather, but as for being cold oneself, layer layer layer up and bring spare dry gloves so there’s always something dry to replace wet ones when hands are threatening to become blocks of ice.  But even then, even then, conditions can win out.

Do I exaggerate here?  Well, perhaps a bit.  But the combination of overcast, wind and cold were a powerful trio of disincentives.  Because we all didn’t arrive at the same time, it made sense to retreat - fully dressed for paddling - to the heated car to await the arrival of stragglers.  At the very least, start a cold day paddle being warm.  So I sat in the car and warded off thoughts of bailing, of returning home to curl up on the couch under a blanket and perhaps watch a movie on demand.

By the time we gathered, in a spot at least minimally out of the wind,for the beach briefing, our numbers had grown by one.  As the planned group was unloading and packing boats, I was approached by a man wearing a surfer’s wetsuit and carrying a 13 foot Epic kayak on his shoulder.  We chatted a bit.  He was new to the area and this was his first winter paddle.  I told him who we were.   He asked whether he might join us.  Thinking of the recent CAM classroom session at which Rob, who was initiator of this day’s trip, had presented, I referred the man to him.  A good leadership opportunity to deal with an unanticipated development.  We all ended up consulting, and deciding that it made more sense for the man to join us rather than to paddle alone on this challenging day.  He had the skills.  His wetsuit, while untested in these conditions, was made to keep winter surfers warm.  We all had some concerns about his short boat, which had no skeg or rudder, in the day’s conditions, but there were enough of us that if a tow were necessary, a tow could be accomplished.  So…  Welcome to the group, Joe!

In good CAM fashion, we came up with a plan to test out the conditions and our response to them.  We would head on a slight diagonal to the far side of Marblehead Harbor, gather up by a red lobster boat, one of the very few vessels anchored in the harbor, and decide on our next move.  Options were to head out to Children’s, or to be conservative and make for Dolliber Cove, handrailing along the coast to the north toward Salem.  We also discussed the importance of staying together as a group given difficulties of communication in the wind.

David was first out onto the water.

P1020104.thumb.JPG.99908537a8c9260b5c57c

Then me.  It felt good to finally be in the boat.  It’s always toastier all nicely tucked into a kayak, weather be damned, than it is when pacing and shivering on shore.  Because it was the Easter Bunny Paddle, of course Mr. Peeps (this year, Mr. Blue Peeps) had to join in, so safely secured under the bungie where he could consult the chart, Mr. Peeps cast his gaze toward our first destination.

P1020106.thumb.jpg.50970c0cbdbbc3b132746

And then we were all launched, some of us decked out for the holiday!

P1020108.thumb.JPG.ae74ad5507ada7fcdddd5

At the red lobster boat, we gathered up as planned to check in with each other and decide on our next move.  This would be CAM Discussion Number Two.

P1020109.thumb.JPG.a0be511a3392d6d6d18f4

We came to no grand plan, instead keeping the Children’s Island option open by continuing on the left side of the Harbor to the point at the end of the harbor where we could stick our noses out and see what the conditions were outside.  After this first shakedown, a few people decided they needed to do gear adjustments on land, so we pointed toward the beach below one of the grand Marblehead yacht clubs that seem to line both sides of the harbor.

Rob stayed in his boat.

P1020118.thumb.JPG.fc4d68786f4d06c0b32fa

The rest of us who had not gone ashore enjoyed paddling in the protected little cove, which was essentially wind-and-waveless.  When everyone was all adjusted and back in his/her boats, we gathered for CAM Discussion Number Three.

P1020120.thumb.JPG.a5f878c009694275980e5

Peter joked that I should be sure to describe this process as “seemingly endless,” to satisfy those who abhor the CAM model.  But in actuality, all in attendance found the discussions valuable.  Enjoying the benign conditions in the cove, I joked that we should just stay there all day, paddling in tight circles and practicing rolls and rescues, snubbing our collective noses at the wind.  Turned out there was something to be said for this approach. The original Easter Bunny Plunge had been conceived as an opportunity to test out cold weather paddling gear and to practice rescues in adverse conditions.  At the time, we didn’t know that it would become a regular event on the NSPN calendar.  When it did, the “plunge” part mostly fell by the wayside (except for Rob, who is the only one who has plunged on every Easter paddle!) as smaller and larger groups just enjoyed the day paddling in rabbit ears and practicing the Chocolate Adventure Model.  But this discussion actually resulted in our committing to put the “plunge” back into the Easter Bunny Plunge.  We would not focus on distance or destinations, but would find places where we could do some cold water activities.

So back across the harbor to  the point on the north side of the harbor, with an aim of ending up in Dolliber Cove to get wet.  The seas got bumpier as we left the protection of the harbor.

P1020122.thumb.JPG.8598d01a74750b51b4fff

Soon we had made the left hand turn behind the islands into Dolliber Cove.  The new guy, Joe, had had no problems maneuvering his short boat in the prevailing conditions.

P1020125.thumb.JPG.5c66bf85400d251bedddd

And then the games began.  Dan managed to get stuck trying to go over a gravelly bar into the cove.  We suggested he just might sit there and wait for the tide to come in and float him out.  That wasn’t necessary.

P1020126.thumb.JPG.445f20f8fc0d1f5d1dd5d

I checked in with Mr. Blue Peeps, who had had a difficult crossing what with waves breaking across him and all.  Im mellltttiiing…  And he’s not blue anymore, either!

P1020128.thumb.JPG.4905fecdf07e995dc2b36

Steel grey sky and inhospitable dark water were Rob’s Siren song, and soon he was relaxing in the water, chillin’ as he awaited a rescue.

P1020129.thumb.JPG.cb250c57b48094c84dc9a

Which didn’t take all that long…

P1020131.thumb.JPG.61ff4faf9345775a35c7f

Peter, who announced that he didn’t want to get wet on purpose, decided that he needed to be stranded and in need of help to get unstranded without so much as having to get his feet wet.  Beth was tasked with helping him to accomplish his goal.

P1020135.thumb.JPG.3014a5f2fb52ea7f9fbcf

Under her expert guidance, with some additional advice from Dan, he succeeded in extricating himself.

P1020138.thumb.JPG.669a435632c467cd0dde3

Back at the calm cove by the yacht club, I had vowed to myself that this year I would be one of the plungers, and so it was my turn next to get into trouble.  Into the water I went.  Chilly!  Very chilly!  Get me out of here!  Joe, who had not done T rescues in a while, came to my assistance and was talked through the steps of the rescue.  It ended up being pretty proficient and it wasn’t long before I was in the boat again.  Only problem was there was still a fair amount of water on board.  So with another boat or two rafted up to Joe’s – I can’t even remember whose!– I clambered out of my wet boat, lay across the others and keeping completely out of the water, while Joe once again flipped my boat and dumped out the remaining water, at which point I slid back in.  Piece o’ cake!

Then Dan decided to join in the fun…and lose his boat in the process.

P1020139.thumb.JPG.15d7801dc8d0c566946f5

P1020140.thumb.JPG.98700a2f133728514917e

P1020141.thumb.JPG.119de222ac894397d009f

The piece o’ cake that being in the water had been was becoming a piece o’ ice cream cake, and I for one was ready for a hot beverage.  It was close enough to lunchtime, so land ho it was!  On the way, David decided that he needed to be wet as well.  While he didn’t swim, he did roll.

P1020143.thumb.JPG.7d6e4a3fb2ddb497444e4

We ate in the same spot, by the strangled tree, out of the wind, that we had lunched at last year.

P1020146.thumb.jpg.e87946521dc5d1557b6c0

Warm soup, tea, hot lemonade warmed us up.  A bit of Cadbury Easter egg fuel to top things off.  Rob, the one-eared bunny, discussed the afternoon’s plans.

P1020145.thumb.jpg.f0ead22d72ea60ce95b97

There was no sun and it still felt cold and there was little desire to linger on land, so we were soon back into our boats.  Beth knows well you don’t have to wait an hour after eating before going for a swim…

P1020150.thumb.JPG.4209925143ad39c338029

Her plunge turned out to be rather lengthy, as ultimately it was one of those “it takes a village” rescues – during which much was learned about what had and had not worked in the first attempt.

P1020152.thumb.JPG.0c8f523eac0c0dd27d886

P1020156.thumb.JPG.ac604a532609935dddce8

Across the cove, a couple in a pretty double oared boat enjoyed the spectacle…

P1020154.thumb.JPG.1c628d094dfcae626f4ee

Then it was time to leave the shelter of the cove – which required CAM Discussion Number Four about whether we should turn left - toward Salem, or right – back to Marblehead.  Group consensus was for a right hand turn, with the opportunity to hug and/or play in the rocks on the return.  And so we headed back out

P1020157.thumb.JPG.69271333935f16270f718

P1020158.thumb.JPG.e9ffe764d09a4ae58f61b

and into the bump, the sea wonderfully lively the instant we cleared the island’s windblock.

Really perfect fun conditions.  Nice waves coming at us over what must be a ledgy area just past the island.  Pictures never do it justice!

Rob just couldn’t stop plungin’, and soon he was out of his boat again, and cold rough water rescue practice ensued.

P1020160.thumb.JPG.bf061e0c545646b7bcca9

It was hard to hold my camera steady.  I wish this picture weren’t so blurry!

P1020161.thumb.JPG.0e874d1ebb53ef025d03b

The rescue proceeded with the nonparticipants standing by and staying clear of those involved.

P1020163.thumb.JPG.bae360bf2cb69fc3d901a

And then it was time for just pure fun and play in the waves.  Again, wish my photographic skills would do it better justice, and truth be told, it got to the point where I just wanted both my hands on the paddle.

David,

P1020165.thumb.JPG.a301a52bd91aac42bad67

Beth,

P1020166.thumb.JPG.2fa875e7a0f09f43af5e6

and Joe all proceeded through the beam seas with aplomb.

P1020167.thumb.JPG.965c52112292a638c1455

We were reluctant to leave all the fun and games along the rocky coast, but we were soon at the right hand turn back into Marblehead Harbor.  Thankfully, a cluster of rocks near to shore provided opportunity for fooling around some more…

P1020169.thumb.JPG.64e46e127ea2dc549e307

P1020174.thumb.JPG.ced5a342724c39848ec33

P1020176.thumb.JPG.9bac830e8be0d0fd78c6f

Isn’t it always the case that on a dark cold day the sun decides to try to make an appearance just as you’re ready to call it quits?  Well, so it did on this day…  Somewhere up there, the sun was ready to shine.

P1020178.thumb.JPG.83787de69b9799a5c9802

But we forgave the sun his late appearance because the northeast wind was at our backs, pushing us effortlessly toward home.  I remember so many paddles that ended with the seemingly endless slog into a strong west wind the entire length of Marblehead Harbor.  But not on this day…

And so the day ended with sun and a favoring breeze.  Hands and feet were warm.  There had been many fun and successful plunges.  Everyone had participated - as a swimmer, a rescuer, a coach – in the day’s skills practice.  Everyone had participated in the (“seemingly endless”) CAM discussions.  All enjoyed the super fun bumpy water at the end of the day.  Mike said it would be an easy trip report to write:  “We went across Marblehead Harbor, we went back across, we turned left and went into a cove, we did some stuff, we turned right and went back to the launch.”  Yup, that pretty much sums it up.  But you had to be there to know how much more it was.

And you had to be there to see Dan stylin’ at the end of the day as Easter-Bunny-out-of-Alice-in-Wonderland!

P1020179.thumb.jpg.e56a85dd0f6ddd14e0c35

For me, it was a Corrective Emotional Experience in the cold and bump and wind after my un-fun New Years Day.  It also was a lesson in not listening to the weenie voice in one’s head that whispers, “You’ll be more comfortable at home…”  There are clearly times when it makes sense to call off a trip, a day, a plan to paddle.  Conditions for the Easter Bunny Plunge were not that.  Had I listened to that voice, I would have missed The. Best. Easter Bunny Plunge. Ever.  I’ve been on all four and I know! 

There is consensus (CAM Discussion Number Five?) that the Easter Bunny Plunge will hereafter be held on the Saturday of Easter weekend to allow for greater participation.  But there was one major thing missing on this otherwise Best. Ever. day…  Pink Paddler was immobile at home with painful neck spasms and so we missed the Pink Easter Bunny this year and she missed a day she would have loved!

IMG_4846.thumb.JPG.db146d2964b223ca3e8b4

But balancing her absence was a new presence:  Welcome, Joe, now our newest member of NSPN!

P1020172.JPG

Finally, a big big thank you to Rob for organizing the day and herding all us cats into the water!

pru

Thanks for capturing the event so well, Pru! I think this is the first paddle where I didn't take a single photo, leaving me to concentrate on just how much colder my fingers would be if I messed around with my camera.

And a big thank you to Rob for organizing this adventure and getting us out on the water.

Thaks,Pru , for the report and photos , and to Rob for coordinating/facilitating/ iniatating this paddle. It was a creative  enterprise: the raw conditions, cold air and water temps not initially promising for  great  adventure, but coming up with a plan that included CAM practice/ implementation, rescue practice , group effort, paddling  & immersing safely, and  weaving a total stranger into the group  (and now into NSPN), and creating a entirely  positive experience for him (and us) was  inspiring.   

I would like to return the thanks for everyone that not only showed up, but willed themselves out of their warm cars and onto the water.  It was definitely a challenging day organizationally, dealing with both a late-comer and a new-comer, and I am grateful that the group was able to make the right decision to have Joe join us on the water.  Here are some more pics:

Lunch:

DSC01660.thumb.JPG.6727305b797440f4cd060

Lumpy waters photo sequence:

DSC01661.thumb.JPG.628c9d1341fa9b8cc7b3aDSC01662.thumb.JPG.b7a3aeea8cd70ba6a5a1fDSC01663.thumb.JPG.12a6603be78d2f7cb5a43DSC01664.thumb.JPG.d3685a6a2283d9324c976

DSC01665.thumb.JPG.6a7471350bf39f8ee90a6DSC01667.thumb.JPG.89d016abc558ebf87d41cDSC01668.thumb.JPG.8af73d9c8ba56b1179b83DSC01670.thumb.JPG.ce3ca5d6d0f725837a318

Rock Play:

DSC01670.thumb.JPG.ce3ca5d6d0f725837a318DSC01680.thumb.JPG.4dd7b04cba31d8aede103DSC01679.thumb.JPG.7104510ac0386b59ac49cDSC01681.thumb.JPG.f77763b39b2d8df2175f5

DSC01661.JPG

DSC01666.JPG

It was great to be a part of this Plunge, albeit totally unplanned, and I'm glad to be part of NPSN now -- this trip convinced me that many more fun adventures lie in store with all of you. Thanks again to all the Aquatic Bunnies for so generously absorbing me at a moment's notice!

1 hour ago, Joseph Berkovitz said:

It was great to be a part of this Plunge, albeit totally unplanned, and I'm glad to be part of NPSN now -- this trip convinced me that many more fun adventures lie in store with all of you. Thanks again to all the Aquatic Bunnies for so generously absorbing me at a moment's notice!

Hi Joe,

Welcome to NSPN!  Sorry I missed meeting you at this paddle, but hope to see you on the water or at some of our upcoming training sessions!