Sunday, December 20, 2015 Paddle

David M

Sunday looks to be a great day, albeit chilly, to grab an end of year paddle.

Looking for some company to paddle from Ordione to Rye Harbor and return. ~10nm. Will hug the shore for some shelter from the forecasted west winds.

Launch at 10:00 am.

Forecast is for sunny skies with temperature in the low-40's. In-shore sea state forecast is fairly benign. Winds 13-18 mph (wnw-w). Water temp 49. High tide: 6:11 am.

This is a Level Three paddle (http://www.nspn.org/trip-levels/). Drysuits are a must.

Please post interest here and pm float plan info to me including name, cell number, boat make, model, and color, emergency contact name and phone number, vehicle make, model and plate number.

Beth, Yes, the launch is within the boundaries of the State Park. These are the coordinates off the NSPN site.

Launch Site: Odiorne Point
Longitude: -70.727565
Latitude:43.048449
There is a small bridge on 1A/Pioneer Road adjacent to the launch. I grabbed this addresss from Mapquest which gets you very close:

327 - 331 Pioneer Rd

Rye, NH 03870

There is plenty of parking and a ramp. Our launch and pullout times should miss the mud.
We'll lunch in Rye Harbor.

I'm not thrilled at forecast. Winds W 15-20 gusts to 25. I don't think there's much protection along the way. This plus the cold...plus the fact that between now and Xmas I have to drive to RI to Carl Ladd's house to pick up his donation to the party raffle has me thinking...no.

Others, thoughts? (I know, I'm a weenie)

pru

In-shore winds are a bit scaled back at 10-15 knots with gusts to 20. They also diminish some into the paddle. That said, no question it will be chilly (max 35). We will still have at least 5 hearty souls so its a go.