Food for thought: Seakayaking: How to do it vs. why to do it.

leong

Whaddaya think of this article?

-Leon

PS
The article reminded me of the techniques of mathematics vs. the beauty of mathematics. For instance, the great mathematician Bertrand Russell said:

"Mathematics, rightly viewed, possesses not only truth, but supreme beauty -- a beauty cold and austere, like that of sculpture, without appeal to any part of our weaker nature, without the gorgeous trappings of painting or music, yet sublimely pure, and capable of a stern perfection such as only the greatest art can show."

Lisa, you are too kind.

Before you wrote, I was thinking of responding that the author of the article clearly hasn't had the pleasure of reading peoples' postings in the NSPN trip reports forum - notably Kate's solo wanderings. Certainly most of us who post trip reports do so to give others a sense of what the voyages are all about - to share joy, awe, peace, anxiety ( bears! big waves! strong currents! powerboats!) etc etc - not to talk about technical stuff.

pru

Seems to me that NSPN has a good balance of “How to do it vs. why to do it.”. With too much of the latter our typical trip report might be something like, “My exciting day trip across Walden Pond in my Pungo”.

-Leon