Kayak cart recommendations

prudenceb

Not getting any younger here...

I am seeing more of my kayaking compatriots attaching wheels to their boats to transport more easily to and from the water. I would welcome suggestions on peoples' favorites. I do NOT need wheels that will store in boat. What is important is ease of use (especially how boat sits on or is attached to wheels) and ability to handle different surfaces that might be traversed on way to water.

Thanks!

pru

Pru,

Consider getting one with no-pneumatic or solid tires. The ones with blow up tires after a couple of seasons getting wet in salt water immersion rot out their stems and then need to be replaced. KTP sells a couple of versions.

Not sure what happened there. The cart Andy references is called the Wheel a Weigh. It's a center mount so once the boat is on, all you need do is press down on the stern and move forward. No need to lift the bow at all. Even though you don't need the feature, is does break down completely and fits into the hatches of my Explorer. Sid Cohen also has one.

I have been using Wheel-eez , the mini version, and have been very pleased with it. It has pneumatic wheels but I've had no issues, I'm careful to clean it after using. It trundles over just about anything. It doesn't fit in my Explorer hatches but I don't generally need that anyway. I've been quite satisfied, and it's sure made things easier.