Ladies Camping Trip

Nancy Hill

Nine adventurous women spent a beautiful summer weekend camping on an island in Muscongus Bay. After everyone arrived on Friday and finished setting up shared campsites, spread out along the shore of an island, we all enjoyed a short paddle together. It was the perfect summer afternoon. The following day, 5 of us paddled out to Eastern Egg Rock to see a puffin colony. The 4 remaining paddlers chose to enjoy a different route with shorter mileage. We were all treated to a most glorious day. It's hard to beat the coast of Maine for a paddling destination and hard to beat all of the things that came together to make this an unforgettable weekend. Thank you, Katherine, for suggesting the venue and ordering up the fine weather. A link to some pictures: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.916830448410080&type=1&l=94e4939d03

Nancy:

Cannot open pictures link. Being a luddite, I do not have a Facebook account.

I'm sure they are wonderful. I was out on Damariscove Sat. and assuming to was the same at Eastern Egg, it must have been a spectacular day.

Ed Lawson

I'll post a link again and hope it works. I am not sure why the other didn't. F/B said "You can use this link to share this photo album with anyone, even if they don't have a Facebook account. Anyone with the link will be able to see your photo album." So, why it didn't work, is a mystery to me. One more try: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.916830448410080&type=1&l=94e4939d03

Beautiful photos and wonderful trip. Very envious of your trip out to EER - given my unsuccessful attempt with Gary York in May. You guys really nailed it in terms of the weather...and sounds as though everything else was perfect, too!

pru

Thank you Katherine for organizing an outstanding ladies camping trip. The site was perfect as was the weather and company. We all had many excellent paddles. The pod that did not want to paddle the distance to Easter Egg Island (and back!) had such a wonderful paddle, noodling around Friendship Long Island, Cranberry, Black and in and out of coves that we ended up paddling well over 14-15 miles! It was just beautiful with so many bird sightings, including a pair of bald eagles soaring. We had delightful paddles every day with various groupings and enjoyed great food and company. There was also a lot of swimming :)

I really enjoyed paddling with new and old friends

Janice

I am reposting on Nancy's thread, which I had missed . We were indeed fortunate to have perfect summer weather... Sunny days, cool nights, calm seas, and light breezes. Additionally, the Mosquitos were in short supply!!

We launched in several pods from Friendship ME and headed over to a nearby island to set up camp. From our camp we had the whole bay to explore!

Each day we broke up into two pods, which offered options based on goals and energy levels. Regardless of which route was chosen, wildlife abounded: we saw numerous gulls, bald eagles, osprey, guillemots and various diving ducks, seals....

One day our pod ventured out to Eastern Egg Rock to see the puffin colony! On the return paddle we encountered loads of seals with pups, and several harbor porpoises! Nancy had planned our paddle to coincide with the tide, which helped us out and back- a stroke of genius. The second pod made numerous circumnavigation a around the many islands within the bay.

It was a fabulous trip with magnificent scenery and fun company. Thanks to Katherine for organizing!! Photos will soon be posted! Ladies, feel free to jump in with more details. Let's do it again next year!!

This was truly a very special trip, I enjoyed every minute of it. The trip out to EER was a rare and special delight! Thank you Katherine and everyone else for a very memorable weekend. Next year, absolutely!