Lincolnville, ME

Lbeale

I am planning on doing some kayak camping around the Vinal Haven area the first weekend in August. Has anyone launched from Lincolnville and what can you tell me about the parking situation?

You can pm me if you feel this information is too delicate for public posting -- or just post in this forum --

Any information would be appreciated --

Les

Les:

I believe you will find it worthwhile to call the Rockland harbormaster and ask about overnight parking at their public ramps. Provides a good route to Vinalhaven.

BTW, there are nice approaches from the north via an island chain from the Castine area and riding the tide makes for a fast trip.

Ed Lawson

Also, if the weather is against you on planned launch day, the ferry from Rockland may be an option, and you can plan to park your ?other car overnite(s) at a public spot. Good free parking on Vinalheaven, with close access to a paved, all-tides launch.

Thanks so much for your info Jeff, Ed, and Gary - I appreciate your insight -- if you don't mind my asking additional questions. The trip plan is geared towards an island to island as opposed to a direct crossing. There will be five of us on this trip: 4 cars that need to be parked overnight for three nights. Lincolnville looked good because the crossing is not that long (3+miles, more or less) to Islesboro. In case of bad weather, there is always the ferry. From Islesboro, paddle to Duck Harbor then down to Vinal Haven. Another bonus is that Lincolnville is less driving time than Castine or Little Deer Isle (other possible put-ins).

The high tide the first day is around 11:30 (more or less) at Vinal Haven.

1. Jeff: Do you know if there is a place to launch at the ferry terminal?

2. Ed: What do you think about launching lower than Castine -- say around Little Deer Isle -- have you done it?

3. Ed and Gary: Is there a cut at Ames Cove/Duck Harbor to get to the other side or do you ave to paddle to Pendleton Pt?

4. Is there a place to launch and overnight parking on Cape Rosier, Brooksville?

5. Gary: the ferry at Rockland to Vinal Haven is an option --plus it gives us more time to explore the islands around Vinal Haven and beyond-- can you just take kayaks and not cars?

Les

1. Jeff: Do you know if there is a place to launch at the ferry terminal?

2. Ed: What do you think about launching lower than Castine -- say around Little Deer Isle -- have you done it?

3. Ed and Gary: Is there a cut at Ames Cove/Duck Harbor to get to the other side or do you ave to paddle to Pendleton Pt?

4. Is there a place to launch and overnight parking on Cape Rosier, Brooksville?

5. Gary: the ferry at Rockland to Vinal Haven is an option --plus it gives us more time to explore the islands around Vinal Haven and beyond-- can you just take kayaks and not cars?

Les

3. Don't know this area-sorry.

4. Query Rene, Barry, Gene, or Kath Kimball. They have done this in the past.

5. Kayaks need to be on cars, but you can double or triple up/car. Charge when I went a year ago was ~$75/car round trip. No extra charge for boats.

Will E you with another (possible) option.

Les:

Far as I know there is no good place or even a place on Little Deer Isle to launch and park cars for several days.

Don't know from experience, but based on chart going from Ames Cove to Dark Harbor is not feasible. I assume you meant Dark Harbor.

As Gary said, talk to Rene or call Brooksville about Bakeman Beach on Cape Rosier. I mention calling allot because you will often get a great deal of good info by calling. Lots of possibilities that are not listed or made known generally, but when you call you odds are you will find out.

You did not mention how many days, but if I were doing the trip, I would bite the bullet by going to Augusta, then over to Belfast , and then over to launch site. You wilol spend a day driving regardless seems to me. Not sure it is all that much longer and overall easier driving than up 1. Purely personal prejudice. The island chain down from Rosier is really, really nice. Just pay attention to tides as the current is strong in the area. You could go from Cape Rosier to the islands on the south side of Vinalhaven in one day with a following tide and early start.. Also check out MCHT islands as well as MITA islands in the area.

Ed Lawson

Like Katherine said, launching from Lincolnville is easy. There is both a ramp and a beach right next to the ferry terminal. The ferry to/from Isleboro will only take kayaks on a car, no carry on. Another option is to take the ferry to Isleboro and launch from there. There is free public parking and a beach, making launching easy.

Late to the party, but I can confirm that the only place you can carry over on Islesboro is at the Narrows, half-way up the island. There is a put-in at pendleton point, but I don't believe you can park there overnight. Overnight parking is free on the islesboro side of the ferry and launching is easy at a ramp just east of the ferry slip. The ferry can be busy, so don't aim for the last ferry of the day. Parking is $10/day at the Lincolnville side of the ferry. Easy launching at all tides on the ramp just north of the ferry slip.

The ferries to Northhaven/Vinalhaven are much busier. Reservations sell out on the day they are released - 1 month before sailing. Can get in line on the day of or the day before, but on busy days it could be tough. Kayaks can only be carried on cars for all three ferry routes.

Sand beach on the west side of Deer Isle is another possibility, but I don't think you can park overnight - best to check with the town office. The Colwell Ramp in downtown Stonington (behind the ferry dock) is a good option. Park at the Oil company office, where Rt. 15 turns right 90-degrees as it comes into downtown. I think it's $3/day. Only a couple extra miles to get out to Vinalhaven that way, nice short crossings if you go up to Hardhead Island.