Cartopping 3 boats

josko

Hmm, are you saying the chance of snagging with a long spread is more than it is with a short spread? :coco:

I'm saying that a rack rated to hold 1000lbs with a 6.5 foot spread that is bolted to a 1/2 ton truck is going to be much more capable of carrying a few kayaks than a rack rated for 150lbs with 3 feet of spread.

Bow and stern lines can snag on all sorts of things and damage a kayak, never mind the chance of someone yanking on one when the kayak is unattended in a parking lot.

The chance of my kayak being damaged by a bow/stern line is far greater than the chance of my rack failing and needing a bow line.

The chance of my kayak being damaged by a bow/stern line is far greater than the chance of my rack failing and needing a bow line.

I agree when it's bolted on. As you might guess I'm not certain that my Thule foot pack clamp will never let go of the car. Hence, bow and stern lines.

I agree when it's bolted on. As you might guess I'm not certain that my Thule foot pack clamp will never let go of the car. Hence, bow and stern lines.

I stopped using the factory racks on my old pilot when I took the plastic cover off to find the front right welds had separated.

I feel better with the Tundra where I have 8' between the bars and the bows are behind the front window and ride upside down.