How hard is it to paddle this winter?

prudenceb

Like everything else, pretty darn hard! This winter is presenting challenges of various kinds, not the least of which involves getting kayaks onto cars. This is where I got hung up this morning as I attempted to haul boat from its backyard resting place to my car.

post-101481-0-12685900-1424452657_thumb.

Feel free to share your tales, either with pictures or words!

And just remember, daylight savings time returns in two weeks!

pru

Pru,

I dunno why it’s so hard to paddle this winter … I just slide the kayak off the Jetdock into the water, slide into the cockpit and paddle away.

post-100270-0-42771900-1424456411_thumb.
-Leon

PS
Yours is a great pix.

Pls don’t kill me when I return in May.

Oh No! You got it all the way to there! Hope you got it on the car after all that! Of course it now needs to go back to where it came from which will probably be equally difficult.

Our barn is almost inaccessible. The sliding doors have snow up to the handles to slide open the door. Of course with all the snow, the doors won't slide - would have had to keep the ground clear through the last month in order to slide them open. Even if they slid, you would then place the boat on top of the 4' bank of snow and give it a slide down hill to the driveway. MUCH easier to take out the boat than put it away. Never mind what happens when you get to a launch spot - surely that would be very difficult too.

Definitely not a winter for kayaking!

What a great pic! And yes, where were you planning to go?

Is does occur to me now that the car sized drift in front of my garage might actually make it easier to load my boat onto the car, if I could just get the boat out of the garage that is...

For now I went out on my snowshoes for a bit today, nothing like walking on water...

What a great pic! And yes, where were you planning to go?

Is does occur to me now that the car sized drift in front of my garage might actually make it easier to load my boat onto the car, if I could just get the boat out of the garage that is...

For now I went out on my snowshoes for a bit today, nothing like walking on water...

It's hard to paddle when your able to walk where one should be paddling. This is one of the pictures I took on my Casco Bay walk Saturday.

post-100196-0-70377300-1424702994_thumb.

Gee, I WISH I had it as easy as Leon! I have to put the boat on the car, drive 45 minutes to Cedar Key or Crystal River, lug the boat down to the water, put on a shortie wetsuit for the cold water, blah blah blah...

And I have news for you; once you've seen your first hundred manatees, they're BORING! A dolphin swimming under the boat is more exciting, but that doesn't happen all that often.

And conditions? Some headwind and a few motorboat wakes if you're lucky!

(Jason, your shot of Casco Bay is making me homesick! I must be nuts!)

Gee, I WISH I had it as easy as Leon! I have to put the boat on the car, drive 45 minutes to Cedar Key or Crystal River, lug the boat down to the water, put on a shortie wetsuit for the cold water, blah blah blah...

And I have news for you; once you've seen your first hundred manatees, they're BORING! A dolphin swimming under the boat is more exciting, but that doesn't happen all that often.

And conditions? Some headwind and a few motorboat wakes if you're lucky!

(Jason, your shot of Casco Bay is making me homesick! I must be nuts!)

Rob,

You’re on the wrong side of Florida. The ocean gets pretty bumpy on the East Side of Florida, especially when strong east winds blow. The day I took this video I paddled in the safety of the bay and then I climbed onto a jetty to use the camera.

Wet suits are not needed in Palm Beach County. The water temperatures here are the warmest in the US during the winter months (the Florida peninsula juts out here into the western edge of the Gulf Stream). The coldest so far this year was 68 degrees. Today (2/25/15) it was 72 degrees.

But there’s no decent rock play. Island hopping is only possible in the bays inside the barrier islands.

Nevertheless, paddling in NE is more fun.

-Leon