What's on Your Bucket List?

cfolster

As I sink (ha) deeper and deeper into this awesome sport, I meet more people and learn about new places to kayak. So many more than I'll ever get to, probably, but it recently started me to thinking about what places are top on my list. The ones I MUST DO before I am unable to do so.

I thought it would be a good exercise to share them with folks and have others share their buckets lists. Maybe there will be similarities and trips will form. Maybe we'll all learn a few new places we want to visit.

Here's my list (yes, I know it's short - feel free to fill it up with more suggestions):

1. The Skookumchuck Narrows, near Egmont BC (can I list this one twice - it's just awesome. Look it up on YouTube)

2. The Bitches, Ramsey Sound, Wales

3. Apostle Islands, Lake Superior

1. The Skook is definitely high on the list, and pick up a custom Sterling while I'm out there.

2. Paddle the Maine Island Trail.

3. Anything in Newfoundland, but would love to circumnavigate.

4. Anything in British Columbia, amazing place.

5. A month long trip of Baja.

6. Surf kayak trip to Ireland, England or Portugal.

Great idea Cathy!

Still feeling new to the sport so the list may need to be modified, but my birth certificate indicates I should be focusing.

1. UK for sure

2. Anywhere Orcas are a possibility

3. Newfoundland to also check out the land of ancestors on each side of the family.

4. Greenland

5. More time on the Maine Island Trail.

David

A huge list if I were to stop and think about it, but one in particular. There are a bunch of fiords around what was called called the "Eastern Settlement" in Greenland. This is where the Norse had a large colony going from about 1000 AD until 1350, and there are a number of ruins there. My "dream" visit is to spend time paddling, camping, and exploring the ruins. It looks like the fiords are reasonably protected, but I haven't (yet) information on Greenland to assess the likely conditions. Sounds like a good winter project!

Jason, I need to check location.... I think it is pretty far up the coast, Rogue Bluffs is on the mainland. . I don't know why it is special but I have been drawn to it for a number of years.

Jason, I need to check location.... I think it is pretty far up the coast, Rogue Bluffs is on the mainland. . I don't know why it is special but I have been drawn to it for a number of years.

This is the one that I found:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rogue+Island,+Harpswell,+ME+04079/@43.7714717,-69.8961578,2657m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x4cad78378ee34325:0x8d02e631abdf5187

Scotland!

More time in BC

Newfoundland

But I will settle for Maine for the time being, since it's close.

Edited by Matthew Rogers

Outer Hebrides (take me, Lorrie!)

Northern Peninsula, Newfoundland (to see icebergs)

Labrador anywhere south of polar bears

Isle Royale, Lake Superior (I go hot and cold on this one)

Great Slave Lake, Northwest Territories (somewhere way far north in Canada but not as far as Great Bear Lake because that's just crazy talk)

Prince of Wales Island, AK (going far out into dreamland...)

Katherine, Jason

https://goo.gl/maps/GrGh1

Also on my list, the half mile crescent beach is supposed to be spectacular. I think Peter Brady and some others may have paddled it a bit back.

Barry.

It's a very nice location, the wide sandy beach seems a bit out of place.

I have paddled the bold cost a few times and at least once with Peter.

good thing we all live close to Maine and could utilize our free weekend time to explore. In addition to that my bucket list is more for trips that pretty much require a retirement... ;-) (please make a donation)

Magdalene islands
Coast of Maine in one trip
northern forest water trail
a week in everglades camping
one more trip to Mingan NP

Edited by brambor

Outer Hebrides (under planning for 2015)

Newboundland (again and again - would love to paddle the full way around but not alone, with others)

Alaska (although the logistics and scale scream for this to be a longer trip than possible)

Magdalene Islands

Pacific North West - really a years worth of possibilities

and the closer to home redo's:
Maine Coast again and again with another Bold Coast trip

Newfoundland
Wales
Outer Hebrides (inspired by my father, who loved the area, I did a multi island walking trip there 30+ years ago before I knew there was such a thing as a kayak and was positively mesmerized by the ocean)
AK
Baja
And more and more Maine...Downeast: Roque Islands, Bold Coast and back to crazy Cobscook Bay in hopes that each time will be a bit less intimidating.
And most importantly, anywhere my paddling buddies want to go as long as there are NO ALLIGATORS, CROCODILES, SNAKES or other creepy crawly primeval scary creatures. Bears OK!

pru

oh, and number one fantasy: Antarctica...