Wilderness First Responder Training at UML

NSPN Community,

I am hoping to connect with any other paddlers who have already taken a 9 day Wilderness First Responder (WFR) training program as offered by Solo. I am also seeking any paddlers who plan to take a WFR program in 2015.

I am registering for a WFR program taught by Solo and held over 9 day at the University of Massachusetts at Lowell campus from January 2 to 10, 2015 and held at the Campus Recreation Center. The following link will connect you to Rachel Ivwesen, Coordinator of Outdoor Programs.

http://www.uml.edu/CampusRecreation/Outdoor-Adventure/Instructional-Programs.aspx

As I work toward developing a competency in group safety and guide related skills, this seemed to be a logical next step. As a paddling team member in Alaska, I hope to have the skills to be the go-to person when health and wellness issues surface. Of course if that does not happen, I should at least be able to hand out a few sleep aids and ear plugs!

Warren

• 2 weeks later...

Today I completed the registration process to attend this class in January. Registrations are now being accepted.

If this opportunity aligns with your journey, you might consider completing the registration process.

Feel free to contact me if questions arise.

Be safe,

Warren

OK, registered, too. I had so much fun doing WFA with NSPNers, this will take it up a notch...or two...or nine...

And hey, if I ever find myself in the Alaska wilderness with Warren, and he gets eaten by a bear, I will have the expertise to more competently assess the maul marks!

pru

• 2 weeks later...

Josko,

Did you find the WFR class helpful? Any need to use your knowledge during your recent trip? Hopefully, no bear maulings to repair! :)

I understand the program has an option to test for certification. Did you test?

Warren