Measurements for a Superior carbon paddle

Gcosloy

I'm thinking of investing in a Superior GP. Unfortunately despite an expensive investment they seem to offer specific sizes in length which also defines loom size. For any paddlers who have one what size is recommended: I'm 5'10" and currently paddle a euro at 215mm. I borrowed one on Saturday and really liked it even though the length and loom were too large for me. If I order a 84" it comes with a 17.5" loom-I'd need to go to 86.5 if I want a 19" loom. Non of my boats are skin boats and are about 21 or 21.5" wide.

Edited by GCosloy

Hi Gene,

Your not that tall and your shoulder width will probably put you at an 18" loom. I'd go with an 84" paddle. I have 2 Superior paddles. One at 86" (2pc) and the other at 88" (1pc). Both have a 20" loom. I prefer the 1 piece paddles because I'm not fond of the Lendall fittings. Unless you plan to travel and need the 2 piece, the 1 piece is the best choice and feels more natural.

Good luck with your purchase.

Doug

Gene:

The Superior carbon paddle is a wonderful tool, but one disadvantage is the loom dimensions and shoulder design are fixed. I am 5' 10" or so without shoes and my GPs tend to be around 86" with looms around 20". You really need to put in some time with a GP to see what size would work best for you since there are so many variables. Since Doug has a better sense of your size and paddling style, I would defer to his opinion on sizing for you which sounds right.

It might be helpful to you to give Superior a call and ask their opinion. Be sure to have you height and shoulder width along with being ready to discuss type of paddling and boats dimensions before you call.

Since I am a contrarian, I suggest getting a wooden paddle made that is customized for you if you do not need the strength and durability of the carbon paddle . While it will need to be maintained and will get chewed up by rocks over time, it will be nearly as light, easier on the shoulders, and will fit you better.

Ed Lawson

No GP feels better than a wood one. The constant hand sweek on a carbon paddle can drive me a bit bonkers but in the ocean around rocks etc, carbon works better for me. The flexibility and soft feel of wood is unsurpassed. I usually save my wood paddles for fresh water to protect them from getting chewed up. If you stay away from rocks, this is not an issue.

Carbon paddles are a great expense. I agree with Ed, experiment with wood first. I personally made my 1st and 4th GP. If you want a nice cedar paddle made for you, contact Jill at http://www.adanacpaddles.com . She is finishing one up for me this week.

Doug

What's a hand sweek? Did you mean a squeek? One piece carbon paddle does not squeek. For my use a carbon paddle feels better than any wooden GP I ever had. YMMW.

I have now had my Superior Carbon paddle for at least 4 years. It is still as new. I am not sure about two piece designs and their fittings but a 1 piece carbon GP will last forever. :-)

btw - Gene - I do not remember anymore what my loom and length is.

I have a cedar GP that I've made following Bryan N's book. I've never liked it because it flutters on take off. 84" with a 19" loom. What I liked about the Superior paddle was the complete absence of flutter and a solid feel on each stroke. My choices would be 84" 17" loom. 85" 18" loom or 86" 19" loom. I'm thinking the 85" may be the best compromise for me.

Gene, the flutter is most likely due to the fact that you are using a GP like a Euro blade.

The entry should not be at your feet but perpendicular to your kayak at around arms reach and angled back from the bottom of the blade. Take out well beyond your body on rotation.

I'd be happy to work with on this sometime. Also I'm sure the comparison of your first home made wood paddle does not compare in quality or design to a professionally finished carbon paddle. You should try a well made wood GP with similar measurements to the Superior paddle you tried.

Rene, yes, my hands make a squeaking noise on my carbon paddles. Take your gloves off and you'll see what I mean. The sweak or creaking sound I was referring to from the 2 PC carbon paddle was eminating from the friction of the male and female parts of the 2 sides. I just recently found a cure for the 2 piece creaking noise.... Add surfers "sex wax". This works on all 2 piece paddles that creak.

Doug

hmm. my paddle never squeaks, or at least I never noticed. It probably doesn't have a chance to squeak as I don't really close my hands over the loom very often. My hold is:

As you hold your arms in front of you, let the GP rest on your thumbs only. During paddle stroke the bottom hand 2 - 3 fingers briefly push on the loom opposite of the thumbs. The top palm briefly pushes/aids in the hand's gravitational falling. When the palms meet in the middle it's back to the paddle resting on thumbs only. repeat

I've never liked it because it flutters on take off. ....I'm thinking the 85" may be the best compromise for me.

Gene:

By take off I assume you mean starting from a stop and trying to accelerate. The flutter is due to the foil being in a stall condition. Just like a plane, it will shutter when stalling.

Some paddles will stall easily when too much speed/force is used (particularly when the boat is stationary or at very low sped) due to nature of design and this can also be caused by poor technique. I have a GP designed for use with SOF and it will flutter when starting in a FG boat if I try to accelerate fast, but it will not flutter even when used with a loaded touring boat once up to speed and if I accelerate slowely.

My $.02 is that you be sure not to get a paddle with a loom that is too short as that is worse than a loom that is too long. A short loom will constrict you breathing and efficiency because it restricts the rib cage. You should have a loom length that results in your hand almost touching the water when paddling..actually will touch regularly.

Ed Lawson

Thanks for all the sensible advise _ I plan to go out perhaps today and paddle with my cedar GP and try and get a sense if the current loom is just right or needs to be smaller or larger. I get it about stalling from a dead stop-will see what happens when up to speed.