Greenland Paddle

bduplisea

OK. I have been doing my own research on greenland paddles. I now have more questions than answers. I guess my research skills are lacking! I am eager to purchase one but really still have many questions. Any ideas how to begin to get serious on my personal goal of buying a greenland paddle. I have been paddling for many years. My brace is strong. I drive a valley avocet (plastic). I am about 5' 6". Anyone got one I can borrow? Anyone interested in meeting me at Walden so I can try it out with and get some tips from an experienced greenland paddler? Let me know. I would love the help. Thanks so much for considering this.

Brian, you are certainly a "blast from the past! I'm not sure that others here know that you were involved in running the Walden sessions back in the late '90's. Your generous assistance was instrumental in many people learning to paddle, myself included.

I'm glad to hear of your interest in Greenland paddles (GPs) and I suggest that your first stop online should be QajaqUSA.org, which is the best source for Greenland paddling information online. Their "Greenland Kayaking Forum" is an excellent resource for the type of information you seek. http://www.qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTechniqueForum_config.pl

They also have Technique and Gear sections with all kinds of information on buying, building and using GPs.

There is also a local group of Greenland paddlng enthusiast that refers to themselves as the "Walden Pond Scum", since that's where they hold many of their practice sessions and clinics. I can't find their website, but you can probably hook up with some of them through the Greenland Kayaking Forum.

There are some of our NSPN contemporaries who are GP enthusiasts, such as Keith Attenborough, John Raleigh and Adam Bolonsky. As far as I know, they are all still paddling.

I made the switch to GPs in 2000 and never looked back. Since then, I've built 3 skin boats and a bunch of paddles, and written a book on Greenland paddle making (shameless commercial plug). I'm currently prepping for a cycling trip in France, so I haven't been paddling, but once I get back, perhaps we can get together.

Brian:

Brian's book is a must read if you want to carve one and provides a good deal of info to help you think about and form a personal opinion about GP features. If you want to buy one, then I strongly suggest you contact Bill Bremmer of Lumpy Paddles. He is a great craftsman, an active paddler, and will take the time to build a paddle that is sized for you and the paddling you do. In Greenland, kayaks and paddles are tailor made for a specific paddler and while nearly all of us will never have the privilege of a having a kayak tailor made for us, we can certainly have a GP tailor made for us. There are people who will want to make you a GP they think is the "right" GP, there are people who will make a good "generic GP, and people who make several sizes and will sell you the one they think will fit best. Bill will take the time to make sure every variable in the paddle is custom fit for you.

Over time you will hone what you like in a GP and will likely end up with several for different uses.

Ed Lawson

Hi Brian,

I will be at the Walden sessions and will have my GPs. I have a Superior, a wood GP from Norway for rocks/surf and a wood Adanac Paddle. I also have a GP paddle that a old-time member of NSPN made me -- Sing -- which you are also welcome to use.

In addition, I have 3 Norsaq paddles available for you to use.

Les

Brian,

I would second those opinions about making a Greenland paddle, and Brian Nystrom's 's book.The idea of making a Greenland paddle can appear to be intimidating, and such an elegant and precise paddling tool has a natural mystique about it: it must have been made by someone as sophisticated or manually adept as the paddle design is ingenious. But using Brian's book, and with a few affordable tools, you can make a paddle more easily than you would have imagined, for way less money than a purchased one. So that's an option if you like that approach and if you are mindful of your dollars, or both.

Hi Brian, I am certainly no expert on GP's but I have 2 (one of which I made w/ guidance at a workshop) and you are welcome to try them both; I will be at Walden in the coming weeks also. I find myself using my GP's almost exclusively, I just like them!

Thanks everyone! I just purchased Brian's book. Looks great. While I do not have much experience with wood working or tools, I will give it a try. I look forward to meeting many of you at Walden for the practice sessions. It will be nice to paddle with NSPNers again. And I look forward to trying out the greenland paddles you will so generously let me try out. Until soon.

I'd like to put in a plug for Don Beale's paddles , two of which (storm paddle plus regular paddle) I have used exclusively for sea kayaking for the past 10 years for everything from day trips to surfing to expeditions. Not only are the paddles excellent and durable, but Don is a really kind and friendly human being. If you decide to purchase after all, I hope you'll consider his paddles.

I have been paddling GP since introduced by Brian wherein my wife built one and a storm paddle to boot. I recently purchased one from Northern Lights Paddles which we found through the outfitter we are using in Iceland. This paddle breaks down so can be taken in luggage where the wooden paddle is just too long. We followed a few measurments they asked for and its amazing how similar the two paddles are. It has a relatively abrupt "shoulder" which I like, not sure if this can be altered.

I have been paddling GP since introduced by Brian wherein my wife built one and a storm paddle to boot. I recently purchased one from Northern Lights Paddles which we found through the outfitter we are using in Iceland. This paddle breaks down so can be taken in luggage where the wooden paddle is just too long. We followed a few measurments they asked for and its amazing how similar the two paddles are. It has a relatively abrupt "shoulder" which I like, not sure if this can be altered.

On the page: http://www.northernlightpaddles.com/paddles/ they list that they have a shoulderless option.

Hi Brian - I have a light wooden GP that was made for me by Dee Hall after a neck injury - it was one of the best presents I ever got. You are welcome to borrow it.

Since that time I was able to get one of Ron Novorca's graphite/foam core GP's. It is an amazing performer, strong and beautiful. Though it was not my experience, I understand a few people have a had problems in the ordering process. If you are not in a rush and you don't mind making some friendly calls to seal your spot in the queue, you might want to consider this option.

Karen

Karen, I would love to borrow it. How can I pick it up? I am aiming to go to Walden very soon. My wooden Malone paddle, I am sad to report, is starting to feel betrayed. Nice to be in contact with you again (if this is the same Karen I think you are - I remember our Cape Cod paddle when it started to down pour on us as the thick fog rolled in). Call me at 781-571-0598 or write back on this thread so I can borrow your GP. Thanks.