New Year's Day Paddle - Posting Closed (started new thread)

rfolster

Each winter, we make an attempt to hold a conservative trip on New Year's Day to bring in the new year.  Some years, this is a little too challenging to do safely, so maybe we just grab a bite to eat and make up some epic stories!!

Weather is always a big factor in trip planning for a winter trip, so location will need to be determined as we get closer to the day.  Post here if you are interested in going, and join the conversation about how to make it a good day!

Yes!  Weather permitting, my vote would be for a Boston Inner Harbor paddle, launching from Charlestown.  A few of us did this last year and it was a terrific day.  It was fun chatting with folks walking celebrating the new year along the Harbor Walk.  The launch has abundant parking and a super-easy all-tide ramp with a short carry.  And for all of you north shore and more northerly types who are spoiled by quick access to the ocean, give us city folks a break for a change and save US the long drive!

Prudence

Edited by prudenceb

I'd be up for a paddle.  Here are the details on the launch that Prudence mentioned.  It was a delightful winter paddle.

CHARLESTOWN

Charlestown-ramp1-1.jpg

A free, 2-lane ramp can be found on Terminal Street on the Little Mystic Channnel. This urban launch facility—which is also used by duck boats and shown as the “Little Mystic Access Area” on Google Maps—offers ample parking and all-tide, deep-water access to Boston’s Inner Harbor. However, the City of Boston neglected to install a courtesy float, so there is no convenient place to tie up after launching or when you want to haul your boat. Opens at 7:00 a.m.; closes at 11:00 p.m.

Edited by David M

On 12/26/2021 at 11:47 AM, Jim Snyder said:

Forecast looks a lot better for Friday. Do we want to consider a "New Year's Eve paddle"?

We are approaching 20 participants, so I don't see why we couldn't do both.  Interested in putting another trip together (probably best as a new posting)?  I will be keeping this trip to Saturday.

I am not putting a limit on the number for this trip, but instead will look at running in smaller pods to help manage group dynamics on the water.  Currently, Saturday is looking like a chance for rain, but temps will be in low 40's, and wind looks to be quite mild if any, so should be manageable. 

Based on feedback, we will launch from the suggested Charlestown launch, so please familiarize yourself with it's location and how to get there.  Starting to think about the timing for the day, we need to take into account the hour+ each way between the launch and the open harbor area, plus time to stop for lunch, so looking a potential 5- or 6-hour day on the water.  Sunset is around 4:30ish, and if it is cloudy, it will be dark a little earlier than otherwise, so would like to be back by 4pm at the latest (allowing a margin for safety).  With that said, can we plan to be ready to launch by 9:45am?