Took the Plunge! Newbie needs your help!

BigBird

Hello - thank you to those of you who maintain and contribute to these forums! Last year on our annual camping trip to Hermit Island, we decided to rent a Kayak from EMS. It was a WS Pungo 120. Since we only had one boat, my wife and I took shifts while the other kept an eye on the kids. It changed the whole camping experience for me! Casco Bay provided a whole new world to explore!

While paddling to the various beaches around Hermit, I noticed that while my boat was very stable, it was dog slow (or was that me?). I also drooled over the sleek boats piled up on the beaches (Current Designs Gulfstreams, Lincoln, NDK, etc.) I knew I wanted to buy a couple of yaks, but which one?

After checking out several boats, I fell for the Lincoln brand. I scoured CL daily to see if I could find a Winter deal and I did! Just before New Years, I picked up two Lincoln Chebeagues for my wife and I. Problem is we're clueless. So, knowing what you all know, what would you recommend for PFD's, and other essentials before getting on the water? What classes should we sign up for and with who? TIA and looking forward to paddling with some of you this Summer!

-Bob D.

Chelmsford, MA

2013 Lincoln Chebeague (Big Bird)

2013 Lincoln Chebeague LV (Red Rocket)

Bob,

Keep your eyes open for the NSPN new to sea kayaking workshop that will be taking place early in the spring. It's free and you'll learn what you need to know to get started safely. I'm sure you're anxious to get out in your new boats but please don't be tempted by early spring warm weather ....the water will still be dangerously cold....so unless you have immersion gear be patient.

Congrats on your new boats they will open up a whole new world to you.

Regarding PFDs, you are trying to balance competing attributes:

• Flotation. Ranges from the Coast Guard minimum around 16 pounds to "high flotation" models with 24 pounds or more of flotation. (Example High Flotation PFD the MTI Headwater) Higher flotation is generally safer, but is also bulkier.
  • Comfort. Ranges from tiny inflatables PFDs (not recommended for general kayaking) to bulky "high flotation" models. Comfort also depends on the intended use of the PFD, you want a PFD designed for paddle sports. That implies a good range of motion for your arms, and a PFD that fits well with your kayak's skirt.
  • Fit. Though some PFDs are "fits most" you will probably be happiest in one that fits you personally well. Which is partially a matter of sizing, but also a matter of shaping. Remember your PFD will need to fit over your paddling clothing including the kayak skirt.
  • Pockets. Pockets are extremely useful, and depending on what you put in them may significantly improve your safety. I always want more pockets.
  • Lash Tabs: Not nearly as versatile as pockets, but the ability to lash a strobe or a knife to your PFD can definitely help safety.
  • Hi Visibility: Bright safety colors and retro-reflective patches are safer than mud colored.
  • Cost:

Dressing for the WATER temperature.

First I recommend you visit http://www.coldwatersafety.org/

Go ahead, I'll wait.

I hope you noticed the five golden rules. This post focuses mainly on rule 2 and rule 4.

1. Always Wear Your PFD
  2. Always Dress For the Water Temperature
  3. Field-Test Your Gear
  4. Swim-Test Your Gear Every Time You Go Out
  5. Imagine The Worst That Could Happen and Plan For It

Basically, you should always be dressed so that you never hesitate to get into the water.

In New England, a dry suit will let you paddle the ocean year round. Though your hands and face can still get very cold in the winter, with proper layering the same dry suit can be worn in January and June. The vast majority of NSPN paddlers who own dry suits purchase a http://kokatat.com dry suit. The vast majority of people I paddle with own a dry suit. You can find a number of threads on this board concerning options and pricing. The most important option in my mind is integrated socks. The second most important option would be the appropriate relief zipper.

The main reason someone does not buy a dry suit is cost. Careful shopping can significantly improve the initial cost issue, and there are other brands that are cheaper. However, dry suits are definitely expensive to buy and cost a bit to maintain. Despite that, if you are going to paddle the ocean in New England and don't intend to restrict your paddling to July and August, you probably want to get a dry suit.

If you get a dry suit you do not need to buy a wet suit, though some people do. If you get a wet suit, you may still decide you need to buy a dry suit.

The first winter after I started kayaking I read, and strongly suggest you read:

Sea Kayaker's Deep Trouble: True Stories and Their Lessons from Sea Kayaker Magazine Paperback – May 22, 1997

Almost as good a read, and covering more modern equipment I also recommend you read the sequel:
Sea Kayaker's More Deep Trouble Paperback – August 9, 2013

After you invest in the kayak, the skirt, the paddle, and basic kayaking training, I would probably next recommend considering items from the list I recently posted in the Rescue Me Balloon thread. Here are the first five items from my post there.

1. PFD.
  2. Drysuit.
  3. Two or more Rick Crangles.
  4. Modern VHF radio with DSC and integrated GPS.
  5. PLB with GPS

Though how much gear you will need depends heavily on where and when you paddle, and most importantly if you paddle with well trained and equipped knock-off Rick Crangles.

Hi Bob D. welcome to the wonderful sport of seakayaking. I owned a Lincoln Chebeague and found it to be a remarkable boat for coastal exploration. After your PFD, a spray skirt is most important. Get a paddle float and learn how to do a paddle float rescue. This time of year a pool session might be in order.

Bob,

Welcome !

I would highly recommend trying some of the NSPN pool sessions , which run through March. Perfect setting to meet other paddlers , see what gear they have (boats, paddles, pfd etc ) and try their stuff out (people are very accommodating the way) and also a perfect setting to practice skills in a comfortable setting that are essential to paddling on the ocean ; wet exits, rescues, self rescues, bracing, etc

Then , starting in late spring/early summer, practise sessions (last year at Walden Pond, Chebacco Lake, and Seabrook, also in southern NH) continue these opportunities in a comfortable setting.

Peter

Welcome Bob:

For me, one of the most important skills to learn early on during your paddling career, in fact, the very first skill to learn, is practicing a wet exit with a spray skirt on. You can do dry runs on land: Practice tucking your upper body forward and then release the spray skirt via its handle with EITHER hand by pulling FORWARD and up (or down when you're upside down). Also practice peeling the side of the sprayskirt off with one hand without using the handle (in case you inadvertendly tuck the spray skirt handle inside the cockpit). Practice all this on land (at home?) with eyes closed. Make sure your sprayskirt has the right fit for your cockpit coaming, neither too tight nor too loose (at the beginning, err on the side of loose). Next, take all this to the pool and practice there. From my own experience, I can tell you that there is nothing more sobering than finding yourself upside down and entrapped in the cockpit. Unless you practice a wet exit in a controlled environment, you just won't know how you will react, especially when, either in the pool or in the real world, you capsize unexpectedly without "setting up" the capsize intentionally. Make a habit of always checking that the sprayskirt handle is outside the cockpit and check whether the other paddlers in your group have theirs on the outside as well. This will become second nature eventually.

Next, take all this to the pool and practice there.

At the pool session tell someone first, before your first few capsizes. Pretty much everyone will be happy to float or stand right next to you during your first few wet exits to assist you just in case. They will probably follow that up by helping you practice an assisted reentry. (Of course, if you are not careful they might start teaching you how to roll next!)

Hi Bob D. welcome to the wonderful sport of seakayaking. I owned a Lincoln Chebeague and found it to be a remarkable boat for coastal exploration. After your PFD, a spray skirt is most important. Get a paddle float and learn how to do a paddle float rescue. This time of year a pool session might be in order.

Thanks Gene! Glad to hear good things about the Chebeague. I was fortunate to buy a package deal including paddles, spray skirts, paddle float, and pump.

Bob,

Welcome !

I would highly recommend trying some of the NSPN pool sessions , which run through March. Perfect setting to meet other paddlers , see what gear they have (boats, paddles, pfd etc ) and try their stuff out (people are very accommodating the way) and also a perfect setting to practice skills in a comfortable setting that are essential to paddling on the ocean ; wet exits, rescues, self rescues, bracing, etc

Then , starting in late spring/early summer, practise sessions (last year at Walden Pond, Chebacco Lake, and Seabrook, also in southern NH) continue these opportunities in a comfortable setting.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I hope to get in the pool for a session or two. Walden is very close to home so looking forward to getting out there before the ocean.

Welcome Bob:

For me, one of the most important skills to learn early on during your paddling career, in fact, the very first skill to learn, is practicing a wet exit with a spray skirt on. You can do dry runs on land: Practice tucking your upper body forward and then release the spray skirt via its handle with EITHER hand by pulling FORWARD and up (or down when you're upside down). Also practice peeling the side of the sprayskirt off with one hand without using the handle (in case you inadvertendly tuck the spray skirt handle inside the cockpit). Practice all this on land (at home?) with eyes closed. Make sure your sprayskirt has the right fit for your cockpit coaming, neither too tight nor too loose (at the beginning, err on the side of loose). Next, take all this to the pool and practice there. From my own experience, I can tell you that there is nothing more sobering than finding yourself upside down and entrapped in the cockpit. Unless you practice a wet exit in a controlled environment, you just won't know how you will react, especially when, either in the pool or in the real world, you capsize unexpectedly without "setting up" the capsize intentionally. Make a habit of always checking that the sprayskirt handle is outside the cockpit and check whether the other paddlers in your group have theirs on the outside as well. This will become second nature eventually.

Thanks for the solid advice!

At the pool session tell someone first, before your first few capsizes. Pretty much everyone will be happy to float or stand right next to you during your first few wet exits to assist you just in case. They will probably follow that up by helping you practice an assisted reentry. (Of course, if you are not careful they might start teaching you how to roll next!)

Thanks Bill - hope to get in the pool soon.

• 1 month later...

Welcome, You will find friendly folks and a whole new world awaits you! My bit of advice about gear; don't make the mistake i did and cut costs on things that you will be wearing (or SHOULD be wearing) while paddling... Like your PFD for example. Try them on and get the most comfortable one that has the features you want/need, but comfort should come first, and that means comfort in all temps (remember it gets HOT in summer!) while you are actually sitting in your boat and paddling, not just standing in the store. Put one on, and sit in a kayak with a sprayskirt on as if you were paddling, and move your arms around. If it bugs you at all, don't get it. A good PFD will last 20 years, and if it's not comfortable you won't wear it. And you need to be wearing it, all the time! Sometimes you can get good deals on used stuff, it's better to get good used than cheapo new. Check the boards here, and on paddling.net, as well as craigslist, etc. Definitely come to the NSPN new to kayaking workshop, you can learn everything you need to know to get started and you may pick up some gear deals there as well!

Edited by BethS

Hi Bob,

I too owned a Lincoln Chebeague for 9 years, and I loved it. Two years after the Lincoln purchase I bought a kayak that was more for Sea Kayaking in open water, but held on to that boat until last summer and still used it for marsh, lake, and protected coastal exploration. Last September I traded it in.

You are on the right forum. Enjoy and be safe.

Nancy

Hi Bob,

I too owned a Lincoln Chebeague for 9 years, and I loved it. Two years after the Lincoln purchase I bought a kayak that was more for Sea Kayaking in open water, but held on to that boat until last summer and still used it for marsh, lake, and protected coastal exploration. Last September I traded it in.

You are on the right forum. Beth has good gear advice in the post above mine. Enjoy and be safe.

Nancy

Bob, most of the above is good advice; but there is one area in which you need to pay attention and no one (I think) has mentioned this: do yourselves a favour and buy good paddles. This piece of equipment will make plenty of difference to your progress -- and, eventually, you will carry a spare with you on the water at all times (no rush, especially if you are going out in a group with NSPNers, who nearly all carry a spare)

Most of us started with paddles of, typically, 220cm, because that was what folk used to advocate; but, nowadays, the benefits of a shorter paddle are known (it makes learning the strokes easier). You will need advice from the shop where you buy these as to brand and shape. (The "new to sea kayaking" workshop will help you in this regard)

I would certainly not get my knickers in a knot about a drysuit yet (anyway, they are really expensive) -- you will not be venturing out in cold water conditions until your experience and expertise grow somewhat, especially since this club so actively promotes an awareness of the dangers associated with less-than warm water! A wetsuit (shorty or full farmer-john) will benefit you, initially, however.

Do as much reading as you can -- here and in textbooks: it will be useful. Welcome to these pages: we really do come out to play once warmer times arrive! We are quite an active group.

Edited by Pintail

I agree about the paddle, a good paddle is actually just as important as a good boat. However as mentioned above if you start out with a so-so paddle it can always be demoted to a spare later on (But please don't get one of the horrible aluminum and plastic ones! Get a decent one to start, then a deluxe later when you try one and fall in love...) Try a bunch of different ones before you spend the big bucks, but when you do, it will be worth it.