I need advice choosing an inexpensive paddle for playing in the surf/rock gardens?

BethS

My current paddle collection is one carbon fiber wing paddle that I don't want to chip much less loose or break, a couple of greenland paddles, and one low angle touring paddle. I'm looking for something that has bigger blades for more power in surf, 2 piece adjustable angle, around 210 or maybe 215 cm, and not more than around 100.00, since it may get dinged up anyway. Any suggestions, or does anyone have such a paddle they want to get rid of?

Beth

I know this is outside the price range you're looking for, but life's too short to use a crappy paddle. For Rocks and surf I'd recommend a good durable all-purpose paddle that you won't hate using. The Premium line by Werner is very durable, and doesn't need to be babied in the rocks. Yet it weighs somewhere around 25 ounces. Unless you're a really powerful paddler, I'd avoid the larger blade (Coryvrecken), and get a Shuna.

Nate's advice is good but saving some $ would give you the Werner Shuna equivalent in nylon blades, the Werner Tybee ($180). Same 2pc ferrule system as on the Premium or Carbon Foam Core Line and all round nice feeling paddle but can certainly be used to pet rocks with and not worry.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org