LENDAL North America at Kittery show this weekend

For those of you interested in the new line of LENDAL North America paddles! not to be confused with Nigel's UK brand should check them out at the Kittery Trading Post Paddlesports Show this weekend at UNH.

After breaking an average of one Werner Ikelos per year, I reached out to Ben Lawry for suggestions. Apparently he swears by the new LENDAL STORM. He claims its lighter and stronger than the Ikelos. I in fact own one now and absolutely love it. They are a bit difficult to find but the Kittery show will have a Lendal rep there with Lendal paddles at his Stellar Kayak booth. His name is Vaughn Smith.

Check them out.

Doug

I just picked up a new Lendal Xrange 700 two piece straight shaft. Very very sweet, glad to switch out the Werner Corryvrecken I was using. Looks and feels very well built, very light, great catch. Have only had it out once but it paddled very well. Got a 210 for playing and surfing; I think a 215 in the Xrange 650 would be great for touring. Looking forward to getting out with it more as it warms up. Still have a Carbon Corryvrecken if anyone is interested.

For a Werner Cyprus alternative look into the Lendal Storm. Did a 37 mile paddle around Kent Island, MD a couple of weeks ago and was thoroughly impressed with it's performance.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

I'm glad to read I'm not the only one breaking Ikelos's. I had understood that Lendal had morphed into Celtic, and was surprised to read lendal paddles were (still) available. What's the relationship between those two product lines?

http://www.lendalna.com/node/26

Lendal North America and Lendal UK (going by the name Celtic paddles) are now 2 separate companies. The new owners of Lendal NA purchased a new 20,000 sq foot mill in NY State and remodeled it into a state of the art manufacturing facility. As rumor has it the two type A personalities of Nigel Denis in the UK and Mack Duffy (of Big Sky a Technology LLC, new owner here in the USA) simply could not see eye to eye and parted ways. Mack Duffy, a retired self acclaimed wealthy hedge fund investor has now sunk his teeth into his new Lendal NA project. Two years new and they have made some great headway with their newly refined bent shaft and the new Lendal Storm which I personally think is the best paddle I own.

I placed a link to the website above as it can be a bit challenging to locate for the time being until all the legal mumbo jumbo is worked out. . Apparently, Nigel still owns the Lendal rights in the UK.

Doug

• 5 weeks later...

What's the difference bewtween Lendal Storm and Lendal Xrange in terms of purpose, intended conditions and 'feel'? Their website is a bit vague on this point.

Edited by josko

Well, I tried to order from LendalNA, but cancelled my order today after a number of 'irregularities'. It seems they don't have much stock on hand and more than a usual share of 'birthing problems'.

Josko -

FWIW, Greg has a number of Celtic Paddles - this is Nigel Dennis' paddle co out of the UK. Nigel is not associated with Lendal NA.

I have a Celtic paddle that is essentially the old lendal nordkapp blade and is as awesome as that shape ever has been. Lotsa bite, plenty light - a proven blade shape from a company owned by a paddler with a proven history and impressive accomplishments.

Not surprising that Ben would flout a Lendal NA paddle - it'd be kinda short sighted to recommend another company's equipment when you're listed on the lendal na site.

Yeah, Greg's been great. He loaned me a Celtic, the Lendal 750, and a couple other blades, and worked with me on and off the water as I tried out to sort out what I wanted.

I just bought an Ikelos and Cyprus from Carl's shop. They may be fragile, but they're nice paddles.

Edited by josko