Kayak Repair Tape

http://www.fiberfix.com

Anyone tried this stuff? Worried about trying to remove it afterwards but for $10 it might be worth adding to the emergency repair kit.

I have no first hand knowledge. However, unlike duct tape or gorilla tape, I don't think that you can patch a hole in a kayak with this product. That’s because FiberFix works by multiple wraps around two broken parts of something. But it's probably a great product to repair a broken paddle shaft.

My arm been cast recently. They created the casts with fiberglass that has a water activated resin (I had a total of 4 casts as they replaced them). This looks like something of the same ilk.

Several reviews said,

Fiberfix ONLY WORKS if it is wrapped around whatever you are trying to fix and will NOT WORK on a flat surface

being able to quickly join back together a broken paddle shaft on on overnight or multi day trip would make it a valuable repair kit item , worth taking along.

with that in mind, might be worth packing both the tape and a "splint". For backcountry ski trips I take a piece of 18" long aluminum bar (maybe 1/4 by 1/2" dimensions) for pole repair etc.

best

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I bought some Fiberfix ($8) at my local hardware store to test whether it can be relied on for an emergency boat patch. The instructions say to immerse the tape in WARM (68-77 degree) water for 10 - 12 seconds to activate it before applying. The question is whether it will work well, or even at all, after immersion in much colder water. I plan to give that a test.

Another potential problem is that the repair examples all show it being WRAPPED around something, like a shovel handle, and back over itself multiple times. It's unclear whether it will work just as a single layer patch, for example, over a hole or split in a boat.

Blaine

Another potential problem is that the repair examples all show it being WRAPPED around something, like a shovel handle, and back over itself multiple times. It's unclear whether it will work just as a single layer patch, for example, over a hole or split in a boat.

Blaine

Blaine, according to every review I could find it won’t work as a patch. For example,

The only caveat is that FiberFix is not intended to be a patch; in other words, the material’s strength comes from layering, so cutting off a small piece and using it as a single layer will likely not provide the results you’re looking for.

Some users stated that it worked well as a wrap, but not as a patch.

-Leon