New to Sea Kayaking Workshop

lhunt

Do we have a date yet for the NTSKW? I notice we have a date (May 10) for the associated pool session but what about the gathering in Topsfield?

I have a few potential recruits who have been asking :-)

Lisa

This will be formally posted very soon.

Today I confirmed a reservation for the May 10th date for both the introduction to and pool session experience at the Portsmouth YMCA on the same day at the one location. Bob Levine will formally post this later. My only function was to secure the location where Bob and company will be doing all the planning, instruction and most of the work from this point on.

In a nut shell:

From 2-4:30 ish will be an either indoor, outdoor venue or both, depending on the weather for the intro workshop. From 4:30-7:00 will be the pool session with a potential pool fee going towards a free membership for those wishing to take it to the next step which will also help defer the pool cost a bit. (We are still ironing out the details of that part of it).

Doug

One more question: can I safely assume we will be recruiting different types of boats as we have in other years so that people can "try them on"? I was just about to add a plug for that feature to the other thread but want to make sure we are actually doing it. I assume there will be at least enough boats for the pool...

Lisa

Lisa,

Yes. It would be great if volunteers and presenters can bring their boats for the pool - especially if there are particular boats that people want to try out.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Happy to volunteer for the workshop: I have over the years owned many boats and demoed many more-I wish I knew as a newcomer what I know now about appropriate boats for individuals-happy to share this experience if you think it useful and will also schlep one of my prized boats to the venue.

Gene

I'm in, too. I have a friend coming - you think the volunteers need to be there early? Also, is there anything we can help with ahead of time (written materials, pictures, agenda...)

By the way, for those who are considering coming, I've gone the past couple of years and it's really fun. The participants have been mostly enthusiastic and appreciative. It's a rare chance to talk freely and at length about your favorite sport to people who are interested and really want to listen.

Hi Lisa,

Thanks. I'll be creating a PM thread for all volunteers with more information. So far, > 30 workshop and 7 pool RSVPs - so volunteers definitely welcome. A variety of kayaks would be helpful since people may want to test them in the pool. A PDF version of the flyer will be posted soon for distribution.

Bob