John Huth workshop: "Kayak Navigation Finding Our Way " Update

PeterB

This is an update for John Huth's workshop: "Kayak Navigation: Finding Our way" tomorrow:

At this time , there will be thirty attendees; while the room can handle considerably more, it starts to get tight at around 30 , and since the workshop involves sitting about at tables, and groups of no larger than 3 will be preferred, Id like to limit attendance to these 30 current rsvps. .. If you are interested in a last minute sign up , please PM me (PeterB) directly on the message board, or call me at 617-877- five eight two four .

A significant part of the workshop will be working exercises with chart and compass , so:

Stuff to bring:

a baseplate compass

navigational parallels

navigational dividers

a chart of Boston Harbor, #13270 preferred.

pencils

a ruler

writing [paper or a notebook of some kind

we will have some extras of each item;

there will be about four (confirmed) sets of everything (dividers parallels, charts, compass) for everyone's use; there will also be ten 11 x 17 color xerox copies of the meaty section of Boston Harbor available for those who don't have charts.

but you'll get the most out of the class if you bring your own, as we will be able to work in smaller groups . 10 sets of everything would be ideal, so consider buying some of this stuff; especially if you plan to do chart work in the future. (its fun)

Looking forward to this fun workshop! see you tomorrow.

What a wonderful afternoon!! Some things that hadn't made sense before started to finally sink in, and lots of new stuff to add in as well. Great session!! John, thank you so much for generously sharing your vast knowledge with us. I hope you'll be able to post your slides somewhere. I'm sure I'll need to review them and my notes quite a few times.

And Pru, thanks very much for the compass assistance. You saved me hours of confusion staring at all the options and three or four wrong purchases before getting to the right one.

Thank you John for a wonderful session. I particularly liked the information about being aware of the surroundings and being able to perceive navigation clues from your environment without relying on a compass. I'll need to remember to pay more attention to these clues when I paddle.