icom battery?

rick stoehrer

my spare radio is an icom m2a and either the battery or the electronics have loosed the mortal coil as it either won't charge or....won't do whatever radio's won't do when the battery has a charge and the damn things still don't work.

SO....my question is...does anyone have a similar model? maybe we can meet and i can try just switching out the battery with yours for a moment to see if it is indeed the battery (in which case i suppose i just order a new one) or if it's the radio...in which case i suppose i get a new spare.

icom model m2a.

btw...west marine switched out my m88 again for a new one....ALWAYS buy the INSURANCE on these suckers.

thanks

Can’t help Rick. But this might be of interest for everyone about the West Marine Protection Plan.

My ICOM M72 got stuck in the on state even though I could turn the volume control to click off. After removing and replacing the battery the radio still went back to the on state.

I took it to West Marine under the protection plan and the salesman said that they didn’t have anymore M72 models. The newer M73 model had replaced the M72 and they would have to order the M72 from ICOM (assuming ICOM had any left). I then asked what would happen when ICOM ran out of the remaining M72 models. He said the protection plan would then replace the M72 with the M73. I told him I couldn’t wait for the replacement since I use the VHF almost every day for safety; besides, the protection plan offers immediate replacement and I want that to happen. So he replaced my M72 with the newer model. It has some new features including a faster charger, a cigarette lighter cable and some user interface improvements.

Obviously, I paid the $29.49 to start the new protection plan.