L2 Paddle Saturday 10/26

rfolster

I would like to get back on the water for the first time after my neck surgery and am proposing an L2 or very quiet L3 paddle on Saturday the 26th in either seas of 1' or less or in protected waters. All aspects of the trip are open for discussion as long as we can keep within L2 conditions. Post interest here and we will discuss parameters as weather forceasts become available.

<bummer, sorry i missed this post. if you plan anything similar next week>

I think your internal calender requires adjustment, Shari: isn't today 10/19 (which I would usually write as 19/X)? ;^)

Where might this paddle be? Given the buoy at Eastern Maine Shelf shows water at 57 degrees not sure drysuits would really be required.

What about from Odiorne or Rye around Gerrish? They could be L2 trips except for distance. Or maybe not.

Ed Lawson

Who is always confused by trip levels

My original quiet water trip plan for last week had been for the Sudbury/Assabet/Concord Rivers, but hey, we are ocean paddlers, aren't we? A circum nav of Gerrish won't work with low tide being around 11am, but New Castle would (is that what you meant, Ed?). While not a quiet as river paddling would be, there are several beaches along the way for resting and lunch. If I remember correctly, riding through the Piscataqua River at the end of the ebb or beginning of the flood should be manageable if not downright uneventful. Either a clockwise or counterclockwise trip would be possible, or we could choose to just paddle around in the harbor. I think with the sea conditions of late, we can even explore the coast as an option. Let's consider conditions:

Water temp is hovering around 56.5 degrees at the Fort, so either drysuits or good cool water paddling gear such as a full top wetsuit (not a farmer john) would be in order.

Air temps will only be in the lower 50's, so hypo gear should be considered. This would be all synthetic warm clothing such as an oversized jacket or storm cag, gloves or mittens, and hat. Also, a warm drink and a high-energy snack would be recommended.

Weather should be mostly sunny, but it has been relatively windy (10-15k) this week and primarily from the west. The wind off the land has been keeping the sea state down to a manageable level, but may create a slog for any lengthy west-bound paddling.

Launching from Rye Harbor would offer an extended trip distance and ocean exposure, as long as we are prepared to paddle back against a westerly wind. Peirce island would offer the option of more play in the river currents or not, and would offer the most wind protection. Odiorne is in the middle of those two options. Parking at Rye is $8, and Odiorne and Peirce are both $5 each.

I have not paddled with a few of you before, so let me know if these options look good or if we want to look for something even quieter.

Would a Castleneck circumnavigation work if boats get in the water by 8:00 A.M. or earlier (I know, I know...) and going through Fox Creek first or if boats get in the water at 11:30 A.M. and going via Crane's Beach at a very leisurly pace with a nice lunch at the backside of Crane's, maybe paddle towards Gloucester (not to !) a bit to give Fox Creek time to fill up. I know, given the 11 AM low tide it's a little bit of a stretch. I won't mind if this post gets blown out of the water (...what water?). I'll try to join wherever the paddle is going to be.

This is a gorgeous time of year to paddle the Annisquam River marshes in Gloucester. It is totally sheltered, very little boat traffic and there may be some interesting birds around. If it is windy, there is no fetch so it is really not a problem. People who want to play could head to the sand bar at the mouth of the river. Since low tide is at 11 AM, I would recommend launching from

Long Wharf Town Landing – Take route 128 to Exit 13, Concord Street. At end of ramp, left on Concord for 0.8 mile. Turn right onto Atlantic Street (signed for Wingaersheek Beach) and drive 0.8 mile to the Long Wharf Town Landing on the right – free parking at the landing.

Liz

Would a Castleneck circumnavigation work if boats get in the water by 8:00 A.M. or earlier (I know, I know...) and going through Fox Creek first or if boats get in the water at 11:30 A.M. and going via Crane's Beach at a very leisurly pace with a nice lunch at the backside of Crane's, maybe paddle towards Gloucester (not to !) a bit to give Fox Creek time to fill up. I know, given the 11 AM low tide it's a little bit of a stretch. I won't mind if this post gets blown out of the water (...what water?). I'll try to join wherever the paddle is going to be.

Not sure the mouth at Essex Bay is a good place for L2 paddling, and 8am tends to scare a few folks away . . .

With obvious bias, I like Robert's New Castle circumnav idea. If the seas pick up between now and then, we can easily choose to keep it inside Inner Harbor and Sagamore Creek or we can move it to Concord River for truly quiet water.

Let's see what the weather brings . . .

All of the above trips sound great, but New Castle sounds most inviting. My recovering from surgery, etc. and too much time out of my boat will likely impact my speed and energy level, but my husband has towing equipment, so if we do the circumnavigation or attempt a more ambitious paddle with wind and/or conditions and I am too slow, he can assist me or we could follow our own back-up plan (if the size of the group allows this) if needed. So I am hoping that any possible limitations should not negatively impact or burden the group. We have done circumnavigations around Gerrish, putting in at Odiorne before and Castleneck from Pavillion Beach. My husband has done trips out to Isle of Shoals from Rye. We are flexible as to time and put-in.

Elizabeth Williams and Bob Taylor

Elizabeth,

I will also have towing equipment and can assist if needed, but we will keep this paddle VERY low key and easy. Robert didn't specify, but it is a CAM paddle, so we'll all work together!

Cathy

Rob:

I was thinking of a late start, going on the outside, and going through the marsh around 4PM. Rather foolish idea, but I'm prone to them.

Overall trip around Castleneck does provide many more options and fits more in the L2 category...I guess. I like the idea.

Seems current would be favorable/appropriate all things considered in the Pat.

Ed Lawson

Having paddled this area quite a bit, I figured I'd add my two cents here.

A 10 or 10:30 launch from Pierce Island will allow you an easy paddle out the river Saturday.

Looks like seas should be very flat for your paddle but you'll most likely have to deal with slightly sporty W or SW winds as the day progresses which can be fun and good practice in the New Castle area navigating and dodging their impact. Certainly no reason to alter plans to paddle the area IMO. In fact the ocean side will most likely have the least effect from the wind. Sea temp should be around 55.

Have a nice paddle.

Doug

I am concerned about the wind this weekend. Upon review of the Level 2 paddling criteria, maximum winds should be within 10 knots. Saturday in Portsmouth the wind is supposed to start out 5-10kt and increase to 10-15 in the afternoon. Of those actually considering to participate, how do you feel about a counter-clockwise circum nav of New Castle launching from Peirce? This would maximize the "calmer" wind on the west side in the morning, and provide shelter on the east side (in the river) for the higher winds in the afternoon.

In consideration of some of the other venues mentioned, I am not familiar enough with the Annisquam to make a judgement call. For Castleneck, as Cathy pointed out, probably not ideal for an L2 trip. I am also not discounting a SuAsCo River paddle either.

I am looking for a final (albeit tentative) head count and last thoughts before we make a final decision.

Edited by Bearded Recluse

So it looks like it's Robert, Cathy, and Andy as definites.

Shari, Joyce, Ed, others - are you planning to attend?

I vote for sticking with the New Castle circumnav - I think the winds with the W/SW direction won't be an issue. But I'll go where the group decides.