getting cut by my cetus skeg control

prudenceb

Love my new Cetus MV! However, I have been repeatedly cutting - sometimes rather bloodily (ask Bob Levine!), the knuckle of my left thumb when I'm paddling backward. When I'm pushing forward on the left side, my thumb sometimes scrapes against the back edge of the skeg control, which is very sharp plastic, as I have discovered. Any suggestions on how to smooth that edge out? Does filing plastic work? Should I put a bead of some kind of epoxy along the edge to smooth it out? Cover it with duct tape?

Or should I just encase my thumb in duct tape so that it doesn't get injured when I do inevitably brush up against the slider. Anyone else ever have this problem?

Is this the silliest question ever posted here?

pru

I think I get it but I'd have to see it to be certain about what you mean, however I will say that filing plastic or even just gently sanding it works fine for smoothing out sharp edges. Not a silly question!

Pru, the same thing happens to me with my Fuego skeg control. I tried filing it to be smoother and that helped a little (kept me from drawing blood), but I still hit the darn thing. I finally wrapped a piece of thin neoprene around it and glued it so it would stay. It's not pretty, but makes it a lot softer when I do hit it. When I was in Iceland, I paddled an Explorer with the skeg control that was remarkably low and not at all in the way. In fact, I just checked a photo and see that it was right along the deck seam. I don't recall seeing a skeg control so low on any other kayak. It was great. There was no way I was going to hit it. I will definitely consider where the skeg control is on my next kayak, not only for my thumb, but for my paddle. I have taken quite a few chunks out of my Greenland Paddle on the darn skeg control. Let me know if you come up with a good idea.

-Nancy

If you are regularly hitting the skeg control while paddling, I think you need to adjust your stroke, whether or not it actually cuts you -- bruises are no fun either, and it also likely reduces efficiency considerably. I haven't seen your forward stroke, but has to be pretty low or close to the boat near the cockpit for that to happen, probably outside the range of reasonable efficiency whether you hit anything or not.

It doesn't happen on the forward stroke. It happens if I am paddling backwards - often rather rapidly to get out of a spot I don't want to be in. On the forward stroke it is impossible to hit your hand on the back of the skeg controller that you grip to move the skeg.

[pru

ps - it doesn't happen every day -just often enough that same place on my thumb gets cut now and again. Even once is rtoo many times considering how sharply the piece cuts!

Can you post a picture of the skeg control?

Here's a picture - it's taken from the back, facing toward the bow of the boat, so it shows the back of the skeg controller. On the Cetus, the skeg is controlled by two pieces that you pinch together and then move back. The offending piece is the rear of the two. It has the rounded top on this perhaps hard to see photo. It is the back side of this rounded-top piece that I've cut myself on. I'm wondering whether just to file/sand - as Beth suggests - or to try and put something on the top back side of the skeg controller so that if I hit it by mistake, I won't end up bleeding!

post-101481-0-17735400-1377610398_thumb.

pru

It doesn't happen on the forward stroke. It happens if I am paddling backwards - often rather rapidly to get out of a spot I don't want to be in. On the forward stroke it is impossible to hit your hand on the back of the skeg controller that you grip to move the skeg.

[pru

ps - it doesn't happen every day -just often enough that same place on my thumb gets cut now and again. Even once is rtoo many times considering how sharply the piece cuts!

Whoops, sorry... forgot that it was backwards paddling. Well, sharp edges or not, it's still probably a good idea to become more conscious of your backwards stroke and adjust it, even in emergencies.

Speaking of sharp edges... When I first took my plastic avocet to a pool session (many years ago), after half an hour of rolling practice I popped the skirt looked inside and saw profuse bleeding down both legs. Upon inspection, I saw there was a raw plastic edge on the knee braces which had made a couple of nasty incisions on my knees (still have the scars). I hadn't noticed it before, because I had been in a wet or dry suit at the end of the paddling season, and that protected my knees. Solution -- duct tape over the raw edge -- couldn't really stop pushing the brace with my knee to roll.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions about how to make the skeg control less unforgiving.

Of course what would be optimal would be having such a perfect stroke forward and back that one never hits anything that one shoudn't. But perfection is just a goal. The price for failing to reach it shouldn't be shedding blood!

pru