A Most Lovely Day - Odiorne to Rye Harbor Saturday, July 27, 2013

prudenceb

A Most Lovely Day on the Water - Odiorne to Rye Harbor Saturday 7/27/13

A group of 14…or was it 13?...or was it 15? launched pretty much on time at dead low tide at Odiorne. (Counting was one of the day's activities, and with enough repetition and cross checking, we got it right: 14 launched…or was it 13?) We had managed to avoid the mud at the launch site by carrying the boats well to the left over rocky ground, then paddled out a narrow channel down the center of Seavey Creek with tall mud and sand banks on either side.

Our original plan - the subject of much message board discussion prior to the trip, given NOAA's propensity to change the forecast on what seemed like a random basis at least once a day for the days preceding the trip - was to stop and interact with rocks, either intimately or at more remove, and to end up at Wallis Sands, where we'd have lunch and then head back.

After going back and forth: small craft advisory, no small craft advisory, small craft advisory, no small craft advisory, NOAA settled on the morning of the trip on, yes, small craft advisory. But paddling out from behind the breakwater onto the ocean, we were met by fun and friendly swells and not much else. (Of NOAA's frequently erroneous forecasts, Rob said, "If they can't get it right, why do they bother?!") The temperature was perfect, the breeze fresh. We meandered along, pretty much staying as a group, albeit a spread out one. We stopped to play in some rocks while our compatriots waited a bit father out.

post-101481-0-19303100-1375019350_thumb.

We eventually reached Wallis Sands, where for the first time we could see that landing might be for some a bit of a challenge as the beach was quite crowded, and there was some surf - although not the high dumping surf some of us had been apprehensive about.

Doug scouted ahead and pronounced that an area at the far end of the beach had a safe way in and fewer people. He positioned himself in a calm spot between rising waves, and waved people in one at a time. Several people landed. However, there was an on-water discussion about others' reluctance to do so given the conditions and the number of beachgoers, so in true on-water CAM fashion, we decided to split into two groups. One would either stay or land at Wallis Sands, the other would head on to Rye Harbor, the next pull out spot and then we'd meet up on the way back. But the already beached people must have immediately missed the rest of us, because they changed their minds and re-launched to join us, and we paddled as one large pod the extra mile to the welcome of the harbor. We had to skirt breaking waves before we got to the calm channel in.

We lunched by the boat launch, and chatted with an older woman who pronounced that she had some apprehension sitting on the beach that someone might come up behind her and do her harm; she'd been watching too much of the Whitey Bulger trial, she said. We assured her that we would alert her if we saw anyone looming up behind her, and settled down for our lunch break.

As we had paddled into the wind down to our break spot, we hoped for a push on the way back. But the wind, and sea, had died down. We went along, heading close to the beach just to the north of the harbor, and enjoyed playing among the swells and waves headed toward the beach. Ed had decided that he wanted to guide Cathy closer to the rocks, to show her the calm and safe zones that exist closer to shore - where the view is often more interesting than farther out to sea. For the rest of the way back, Cathy shadowed Ed near rocks large and small.

post-101481-0-32374000-1375019383_thumb.

At some point we got separated into two groups. The leading group eventually stopped, as we couldn't see our compatriots anywhere behind us. We were unable to raise them on the radio. We sat in the pleasantly bumpy water, under milky skies, chatted and waited.

post-101481-0-17716700-1375019366_thumb.

Glenn - good eyes! - was the first to see our missing friends in the distance. When they caught up with us, they told us that they had been delayed by carrying out a rescue. Dana related that at the end of the long beach by the Harbor, he'd been dumped over by a wave that chose to break on him. He successfully rolled up, only to see another less friendly wave staring him in the face. This wave immediately dumped him again, and he exited this time. From what I understand, Doug and others accomplished a towing rescue to get out of the surf zone. Dana pronounced the experience rather enjoyable all in all.

And so we continued on back as a spread-out group, some in the rocks - Peter and Doug among others - some near the rocks, Cathy and Ed among others, and everyone just enjoying the really spectacular day.

The shores of Seavey Creek as we headed in at high tide were crowded with families of picnickers and swimmers. Small motor boats bobbed just offshore. Altogether, a benign, high-summer kind of scene. We got back around 3:30, to find Gene waiting for us at the launch. He had come late, looked for us at Wallis Sands, and ended up having himself a lovely day doing our original trip, only without the rest of us.

Thank you Cathy, Ed, Dana, Jim, Rob, Warren, Doug, Peter, Leon, Liz, Judy, Dave and Glenn for another excellent day out on the water. There, got it right: 14 launched, 14 returned!

pru

Excellent trip and excellent trip report.

A special thank you to Ed Lawson for taking me in hand for the trip back and leading me into waters I would normally never paddle in and showing me that it's safe and I won't die. Others had tried, including Robert, but had been unsuccessful. He must be very persuasive!

Thanks everyone for a great trip!

I was jealous of the rock players, but just a great day to be out on the water with such an array of wonderful paddlers! Glad to see everyone on the water, and thanks to Pru for organizing.

Pru,

Thank you for organizing a terrific paddle and having a special influence with the weather gods. The day was perfect.

For me, the most amazing part of the trip occurred during the beach briefing. It is customary to all stand in a circle and make certain we all know each other’s name. Normally we simply recite our names. Yesterday, we thought it would be nice to have Rob Folster see if he could remember all our names and recite them off with no errors or hesitation. Now for those of us who know Rob, remembering names is not one of his strengths. Much to our surprise he accomplished the task in a flawless manner! I witnessed several backward staggers in amazement including my own. Nice job Rob!

Warren

Thanks for putting it together Pru- a beautiful day from launch to trip report. I did enjoy my swim. My only regret is not having thought to use my paddle to swim my boat out of the surf. I had slid in close to the rocks during a relative calm when I noticed the first wave of the inevitable large set rolling in. I turned and paddled hard into it but slid off to the side in break. Rolling up (and feeling smug for about 1/5 of a second) I went over again directly under the break of the next wave. I came out, hooked my legs around the bow and kind of locked my paddle in line with the boat and used my arms to paddle. I was making headway but not very fast. Doug got in close enough for me to clip a line on and paddle off while I transferred to the stern of Jeff's kayak for a ride out another 40'(?) feet or so beyond the break where Doug was waiting with my boat high & dry. Thinking it through with a beer while my gear drip dried on the line in the back yard, it occurred to me that all the half/in/out/on/under the kayak horsing around we do at Chebacco - collectively known as "Stupid Kayak Tricks"- really do add up to some useful skills. This week I'll be paddling my explorer from the outside while Rob & Rick splash water in my face for the full experience. Thanks again Doug, Jeff, Pru and all for a great day.

It was indeed a wonderful day to be out and about on the water. To give the devil his due. Although the marine forecast did not accurately describe the sea state where we paddled; it was very accurate with regard to the zone overall as shown by the buoy info for the day.

Ed Lawson

Thanks for organizing the trip, Pru. Not only did I have a great time but I met a lot of nice, interesting people from NSPN. Hopefully I'll have more opportunity to paddle with your group in the future.

Jim

It was indeed a wonderful day to be out and about on the water. To give the devil his due. Although the marine forecast did not accurately describe the sea state where we paddled; it was very accurate with regard to the zone overall as shown by the buoy info for the day.

Was the NOAA graphical marine forecast accurate for sea state?