Loopy on Casco Bay

EEL

After reading all the great trip reports and having been washed out for Gary's Jewell Trip, I have been compulsively driven to get out for a shakedown trip to see if new gear and old bones and muscles are up for trips swirling in my head. Weather was looking good so I left work early on Thursday, grabbed stuff packed for Jewell trip and four days of food and headed for Cribstone Bridge at Orr's Island. As expected, no crowds and life was looking to be mellow and good. The issue of dress for immersion or dress for air temps arose, and I opted for comfort as in a light poly shirt and a wetsuit.

After a great sandwich (the bread is baked daily at the house across the yard) at the Salt Cod Cafe, I wandered down the exposed side of Bailey which was wet and foamy from surges from long period swells. I then discovered even with a load for four days, the Bahiya remained "lively" in the reflected confusion. After a brief surf through the gut at Land's End, I was soon into the calm of Pott's Harbor where I overtook a sailboat and then paced along as the solo sailor and I chatted for around ten minutes about favorite parts of the coast. Then around Harpswell, along Whaleboat I. and up to a MITA island with a lovely campsite. With no prospect of rain, the tarp was put up for no particular reason other than shade. Aside from the cruisers moored offshore, nary a soul.

The plan was to go to Jewell the second day and after a breakfast of oatmeal (I'm with Kate on this topic. To me oatmeal is the perfect breakfast for when you need to get going and spend time paddling. It is quick, easy, filling, and easily digested on the go). Even with lugging boat and gear down to water I was paddling by 7:30 in calm, downhill water. Aside from grumpy seals and quarrelsome gulls it was a quiet morning with essentially no lobster boat out. After rounding Bangs, I saw a two master schooner in the distance. Turned out to be the school schooner Harvey Gamage out of Isleboro.

http://www.oceanclassroom.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=41

Crew and students seemed to be enjoying a day at anchor in the bay at the north end of Cliff I. and after a few words I continued to Jewell. Wandering down the inner shore, I came upon an appealing camp site about 2/3 down the island, but it would be a long haul at low tide so I proceeded to go around the south end and up the exposed east side. Wonderful coastline with steep, big cliffs being wacked by swell. After an hour at the NE corner of Jewell I lost my senses and decided to explore the campsites on Bangs. Given the heat, a site with shade and a breezy was desired. Unfortunately the sites did not offer both, and then I became loopy and decided to go to Whaleboat. So I ended up after around 16 NM of paddling near to where I had started. It was a nice campsite and no bugs letting me enjoy the sunset with a glass or two of wine and assorted munchies. However, the seals on the ledges by Little Whaleboat would just not shut up till the middle of the night. Grump, grump, grump. Perhaps revenge for having disturbed them earlier in the day.

Next morning a few of the seals came over to hunt so I watched them as we moved a little slower to get on the water. Again the early morning was calm and the tide swept us out to Little Birch where the first hint of a seabreeze made its appearance. Given the forecast of higher temps and worse air I revisited plans to stay a third night on a MITA island in a protected bay which would have no breeze to help keep things less hot as I crossed over to Eagle for a mid morning stop. The fact it meant another 15+ NM day with temps close to 90 and an air pollution alert suggested ending Sat rather than Sunday. So I wandered over to the monument on Little Mark and then up the bay between Bailey and Harpswell riding the swell and checking how the Bahiya dealt with rear quartering seas. Soon I was at Orr's, and the shakedown trip was over.

Despite good, if really hot, weather and conditions just enough to be enjoyable, I did not see another kayak the whole time. Nor did I see any campsite being used. Combined with few lobster boats and fewer pleasure boats, the trip definitely had a more remote feel to it that expected for Casco Bay.

All in all the a nice time on the water. Many seals about and of course Osprey as well. And each day at least one Bald Eagle was spotted in a nearby tree looking irked that someone would intrude upon their domain and dismissively flying away. While more vocal and seemingly less social, I have come to admire the Osprey more given their migration and hunting prowess.

My suggestion is if you get out to Jewell, the campsite about 2/3 of the way down the west side looks more inviting than those further north or at the NE end. Also, going around the east side and south end is really worth the visit. It is just a mite committing as getting ashore would not be easy most of the distance.

On the gear note, I was very impressed with how well the KeelEazy strip held up. If I were to buy a new boat, I believe I would forego a factory keel strip and install a KeelEazy strip based on experience so far.

Ed Lawson

Nice report , good to see you got out while we had such good weather to enjoy. Many a time I'm heading for the shade...any shade .

Extra nice having the islands to yourself, not the busy time of year yet, till a bit later in the season I guess.

No black flies this year ?

...happy paddling

Very nice report, Ed. (And may I never go have to go to three different islands, when all are deserted, to find a campsite on a 90 degree day!)

I hope Casco bay remains deserted this upcoming wknd, when the New to Kayak Camping group paddles there!

pru

Wow Ed-brave of you to be out in what I consider stifling conditions! I'm thinking April is not too early for a sea safari. You certainly covered a lot of water in your long 2 days. Seems like one of the benefits of solo traveling is to paddle as long as you feel up to it, being flexible with routes and campsite selection. My only concern is how your fair skin kept the UV rays at bay.

What is/was your routine RE: sunscreen application?

gary

Surprised my husband and I didn't spy you on the water. We were only out for a quick overnight from Saturday mid afternoon to Sunday mid afternoon but in the same corner of water. Decided to just get on the water and out of the heat. Funny thing is that before leaving we needed to turn ON the air conditioner for the poor cats left home alone in the heat!

What is/was your routine RE: sunscreen application?

Gary:

I liberally apply sunscreen before starting and reapply around noon as needed. I also use a long sleeve poly short, but apply on the forearms so I can roll sleeves up as needed. So I may have tanned a little, but no sunburn or pink skin from weekend.

Ed Lawson

We were only out for a quick overnight from Saturday mid afternoon to Sunday mid afternoon but in the same corner of water.

Suz:

I was off the water by around noon on Sat. so that might be why. Found out later there was a SMSKN group out and about Sat afternoon which went around Jewell and visited Eagle, but missed them too. When you think about it, it is very hard to see another kayak even a short distance away. One of the things the sailor I talked to mentioned was the fact he has had several close calls with kayaks because his sailboat is very visible to them so they think he sees them, but they are almost invisible to him until he is upon them.

Compared to Friday it seemed the seabreeze was building a little stronger and earlier on Sat so that must have made for a good time on the water unless you had to paddle into it for a long time. I hope the haze cleared out later. It was so bad you could not see Halfway Light from Jewell earlier.

Imagine being on the island with the goats this past weekend. On second thought, better not to.

I suppose this shows there are more out there camping away than might first appear.

Ed Lawson