ski training?

anyone with a ski or comparably fast interested in setting up a schedule to get on the merrimac/amesbury/newburyport during the week to work on stroke / speed?

lemmeknow...having others to push you is a little more lively than paddling completely solo.

Rick,

The best workout you can get is via actually racing. The Cape Ann Rowing Club (CARC) now has a separate division (Blackburn Challenge and Essex River Race) for surfskis whose beam is greater then 20 inches (it was actually designed to accommodate the Epic V8). See http://www.blackburnchallenge.com/.

The Essex race is soon (May 11) and that’s a potential place to meet others in your situation (looking for evening training partners).

In addition, every Tuesday evening at 6:45, the Beverly Boys (NE Surfski) have training races from Lynch Park in Beverly (see http://www.newenglandsurfski.com/salem-league---2013.html).

When I return from FLA I may be able to workout some evening with you if you’d like, but usually I have to be off the water by 5 PM.

-Leon

Edited by leong

Leon -

Yup...entered the ERR and will enter the BB when it comes up. Haven't headed down to Lynch Park for Tuesdays yet, but will soon enough

Figured I'd spend most of the summer on a ski and with wing in hand and focus on getting faster. Ought to make the explorer even more fun in the slop!

hey,

Have Fenn Mako XT and wing - will travel. I practice on the Charles on Monday and Friday nights during the summer. Sometimes our leader, Peter B, joins me for a harba' nightly cruise. It can be quite pleasant watching the city light up --

My problem with going from Somerville to merrimac/amesbury/newburyport area is rush hour traffic -- but we can figure something out -- stop teaching in two weeks so my schedule will loosing up.

Took a class with Oscar last October at CRKC -- was the only one with a Finn Mako - everyone else had their Epics. Some guy approached me and sniggered, ' Are you still paddling one of those?"

So if you are not too embarrassed to be seen with someone who still paddles "one of those" - I'm game --

PS - Oscar gave us a card that had a summary of his specific practice drills. I am hoping this weekend to start practicing the drills.

I am perfectly willing to share his "Big 5" drills with you.

Les

i suspect that since we each have an expired membership that we can't PM. i sent you an email with my cell...my email is rickstoehrerathotmaildotcom (or one of several others) in case the email i sent you fails for any reason.

thanks Leslie!

• 3 months later...

Rick, I'm new in Newburyport and I've seen a few surfskis around, figure one of them must be you. Definitely game for some set schedule during the week. I'm trying to get to the remaining surf sessions at Seabrook harbor to work on balance for the remainder of the season, but my Thursday evenings are open. Could probably be on the water at by 6:15PM or so at the Cashman Park 'old' boat ramp.

-B