Does size matter (tents that is.)

Gcosloy

Question: I'm evaluating tents at KTP for kayak camping and the first one I set up was a Big Agnes 2. The floor is 36sg ft. which seemed humongous to me for one person. Any recommendations for one person tents that have a bit more room say 20--25sq.ft. Or is there a good reason to go with the 2 person tent that I'm not aware of. Pack size and weight are not an issue.

I prefer tents sized one extra person than will be in the tent so I can allot that space to gear and preserve personal space. So, for a tent for one person I would go for the 2 man, myself. Usually a two person tent is pretty intimate for those two people. Other than having to worry about the size of the footprint the tent has (for small island sites) room is good. Just changing clothes in a small 1 person tent can be a hassle depending on the shape.

I just downsized to a MSR Hubba last year:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba/product

It's small enough that it fits into a lot more spots. At times it can be hard to find a level spot for a bigger tent and even more so if you have a few people in your group.

With the Hubba it's big enough to sit up in read, or to be able to change etc. It's a tent that one can ride a storm out in. You can keep your spare gear in dry bags in the vestibule.

I also love how little room it takes in my boat.

I like a two person tent as well. (as opposed to one person) I find it doesn't really take that much more space. Weight is generally not an issue when seakayaking. If I was buying a brand new for a seakayak trips only I would probably spend the money and go for a Hilleberg

Have the Hubba (15.5 square ft floor) and Hubba Hubba (28.6 sq ft), both on sale, HH used. If I am car-camping, I will bring the HH, or its cousin, the 4-season Walrus (40 sq ft; interior like Rob's bivvy). The smaller Hubba accompanies me on safaris, especially where I have no knowledge of tent accomodations. No worries if I find myself with room to spread out, as my OES Deluxe tarp (11 oz, softball sized) is always packed to set up kitchen/living room/mudroom/whathaveyou. The Hubba is not advertised as a "big guy's" tent, but Jason and I are pleased with its pack size (my go-to shelter on backpack trips, or sometimes {non-bug season] fly and poles only for even more weight savings). Others (Peter, Spider) have been seen recumbent in same.

Note: BBLean and EMS sell knock-offs at considerable savings-check them out. Be sure you are looking at the free-standing tents, whose benefits include tarp only set-up (with poles).

I just downsized to a MSR Hubba last year:

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/experience-series/hubba/product

It's small enough that it fits into a lot more spots. At times it can be hard to find a level spot for a bigger tent and even more so if you have a few people in your group.

With the Hubba it's big enough to sit up in read, or to be able to change etc. It's a tent that one can ride a storm out in. You can keep your spare gear in dry bags in the vestibule.

I also love how little room it takes in my boat.

We own a larger Hubba but the entire line of Hubbas are great. At least one if not two won tent of the year a few years ago.

Al

Edited by alcoons

I like a two person tent as well. (as opposed to one person) I find it doesn't really take that much more space. Weight is generally not an issue when seakayaking. If I was buying a brand new for a seakayak trips only I would probably spend the money and go for a Hilleberg.

Agreed. Kayak camping inspired me to get a Nallo 2 GT a few years ago. Tons of room in the vestibule plus being a mountaineering tent it can handle windy islands (as well as winter).

Edited by Jeff M

I'm assuming you're for going for a 3 season tent.

The ideal tent is like the perfect boat, it doesn't exist. It should be light, strong, hold you and all your gear, let you wait out a storm comfortably, have a big vestibule, and have a small footprint so you can pitch it anywhere!

Having said all that any of the major brands should be fine, MSR, Nemo, Big Agnes, North Face, Exped, Hilleberg, etc...

As far as size goes a 1.5 person tent would be perfect, I have an old Kelty that is perfect for one and "extremely cozy" for two. I would suggest that you bring some gear into the store and actually demo the tent, see how you fit in it with a water bottle, extra clothes, some rain gear, etc...

Also if you get a nice tarp a small tent is a lot more tolerable.