Cold Water Immersion Sessions

rfolster

Excellent, and who cares about the weather, we will be wearing dry suits right? (actually I do care, hoping for a nice sunny day!) Any idea when this event will begin? I vote for anytime after 11 am, although I COULD do a LITTLE earlier :) I will bring my boat!

Time and location are still up in the air. Typical start time has generally been around 10am, and ending around 2:00pm, but starting around 11 might work as well. Let's get some input from the rest of the group.

One suggested location is Seabrook Harbor in New Hampshire. There is beach inside the Harbor that is away from the channel out to the ocean where the current and conditions can get extremely agressive. High tide is around 8:30am, so I am just looking for confirmation that we can work at the beach without issue.

Rob,

Couple of other suggestions: Odiorne just inside the rock wall. Also Lanes cove-paddle south along the shore to Hodgkin's cove-couple of sandy beaches and a protected ideal spot to practice.

I'm putting in a vote for someplace not more than an hour or so from Boston, just my preference... Would someplace on the north shore be a possibility?

Edited by BethS

I'm putting in a vote for someplace not more than an hour or so from Boston, just my preference... Would someplace on the north shore be a possibility?

How about Pavillion Beach in Gloucester. It's quiet this time of year as far as beach goers and boat traffic (which you don't have to worry about since you're not going anywhere).

• 2 weeks later...

We need to keep an eye on the weather, as the weekend is looking iffy for any location open to the ocean. I will provide an update on Wednesday once the NOAA forecast is available.

Joyce, you do not need to bring your boat if you don't want to, but I would recommend you bring your paddling gear (PVD, spray skirt, etc.). Since the majority of the group is new to drysuits, the day will be spent concentrating on the following:

- Proper layering

- Protecting hands, feet, and head

- Proper methods of getting into and out of the suit

- Care and maintenance (as much as I have been able to absorb from Suz!)

- Moving (and swimming?) in the water while wearing typical paddling gear

- Review of hypothermia prevention tips and techniques

The main goal of the day is for participants to realize how long it takes to feel the chill of the water, but not for people to get cold. I will have several examples of items that can be used in a hypo kit, but the intent is to not have to use them :emweather3:

Does anyone have any other goals would like to see addressed?

Weather looks good for Pavillion Beach in Gloucester on Sunday with winds out of the NW 5-10kts, overnight temps in the upper 30s with highs in the mid 50s, sunny, and seas less than one foot.

Let's plan to be at the beach by 10:30am so we can unload gear and be ready to start by 11:00am. We should be able to park in the small lot at the beach, but we might have to move cars onto the road which is right there, so it won't be a big deal. We will be utilizing the left side of the beach since the right side is technically a public swimming beach, even though it may not be "open" yet.

Thanks for that info, I never knew that both names were used for the same place.

Though I'm not around on the 21st, I'll mention the 1st time I ever saw somebody putting on a dry suit I quickly learned that they were much easier to put on...after you remove the coat hanger.

Good luck, I'll look forward to stories of suits a burpin...