Fighting the Winter sun!

Gcosloy

Maybe its just me but I find the biggest impediment to enjoying winter paddling is the low position of the sun in the sky. Even as early as noon if the sun is within 180 degrees of a half circle in front of me I have trouble seeing the water scape. I wear prescription glasses and polarizing clip on sun lenses but it doesn't help much. Does anyone have a suggestion. I know they make shooter glasses in a color or tint that causes some dilation of the eyes and thereby better vision. Anyone else have experience with this?

Maybe its just me but I find the biggest impediment to enjoying winter paddling is the low position of the sun in the sky. Even as early as noon if the sun is within 180 degrees of a half circle in front of me I have trouble seeing the water scape. I wear prescription glasses and polarizing clip on sun lenses but it doesn't help much. Does anyone have a suggestion. I know they make shooter glasses in a color or tint that causes some dilation of the eyes and thereby better vision. Anyone else have experience with this?

Gene,

Here’s my SWAG. Perhaps the problem is caused by sunlight coming through your peripheral vision. As an experiment, try blocking the sun on the side of your head with your hand or a piece of cardboard or something. If this helps then a pair of Polaroid “over prescription” sunglasses with side blocking (only very little "stray light" can reach the eye from their sides, or from above or below) might work. Of course, when the sun is near the front of your nose this won’t help (probably nothing would help in this case).

- Leon