Cold Water Workshop

Suz

Scott Camlin and Suz Hutchinson will be conducting the yearly cold water event this year on Nov. 18. This will be a workshop done as a "learning on the go" style paddle as was done for the Spring CAM workshops on the water.

• Review of cold water physiology and clothing; recognizing hypothermia;

• Dunk tests

• Rescues and tows

• Group scenarios; CAM/leadership issues related to cold water;

• Warm up practice (on-water and on-shore)

• Indoors debrief (if we can find a place nearby to where we will be paddling.)

Our launch will be planned as we get closer to the event. It will depend on wind/weather conditions. Most likely we will plan this near/on Cape Ann or perhaps Ipswich. Any updates to the trip will be posted to the NSPN website and the evening before we will post the location depending on the weather. More information will also be posted on the calendar.

The paddling will be within level 2 guidelines on NSPN. Please read those: http://www.nspn.org/paddle_levels.htm

We would like volunteers (one per 3-4 participants) so that we will not need to limit participants. Please include this in your RSVP if you have attended a cold water workshop in the past and are now looking to help.

If you are interested in using a drysuit for the day, Suz will bring Kokatat demo suits. They will be available on a first come/first serve basis. When rsvp'ing let Suz know if you are hoping to use a drysuit and what size you think you are so she can make note:

http://www.kokatat.com/sizing_mens.asp

http://www.kokatat.c...zing_womens.asp

If planning to use a drysuit, please bring form fitting fleece to wear underneath, wool/fleece socks and closed shoes that can be worn OVER the drysuit sock and your socks. Fleece jackets are too bulky to go underneath a drysuit.

Please bring any gloves/hoods/hats/shoes that you have that are extra so that if someone else is missing an article of clothing, they can borrow.

RSVP - suz@kayakne.com

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to join you for the workshop.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Glad you can come. Please e-mail me directly as I will be sending EMAIL communication to all with additional information as we get closer to the date. IN the meantime, I am collecting all e-mail addresses for the even.

RSVP - suz@kayakne.com

Update - at this point, we have approximately 12 people signed up for the event. That is a combination of helpers (people who have done a cold water event prior) and participants. I will be e-mailing out loads of info to all in about a week. It will be information about appropriate dress for the day and logistics. It will not be location. Location will be determined within about two days of the event based on wind/weather. In years prior, we have done these at Lanes Cove, Gloucester, Pavillion Beach, Ipswich.

Don't wait too long to RSVP as I will be cutting off reservations ahead of time just so that I am sure that people have time to be prepared for the day with appropriate clothing.

BTW, this event is not for people who just bought their new kayak. It is for people who have been paddling through the summer and are looking to learn how to extend their paddling season.

If anyone knows of a location where we could have access to a inside room (unheated is fine) along with an interesting place to paddle, feel free to let me know.

Suz

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the list of people participating in the cold water workshop. I would still like to have a few more experienced paddlers join in for the day. So, if you can help, please let me know so I can send you the packet.

David Mercer

Sal Puglisi

Glenn Crowley

Karen Gibson

Jeff Charente

Susan O'Connor

Bill Voss

Ron Totagrande

Kevin Horner

Eric Kirton

Gene Cosloy

Elizabeth Burgess

Florrie Johnson

Joseph Rounds

Connie Dawson

David Burgess

Cathy Folster

Pru Baxter

Rob Folsetter

Peter Brady

Suzanne Hutchinson

Scott Camlin

Is anyone going by Newburyport that could carpool? (i.e., give me a ride?) I bought a new car last week, sold my old one with the rack, and it is very awkward (I mean really difficult!) to get my boat up with blue foam blocks. I'll be replacing the rack, but not this week. I am 1.7 miles off 95, will be ready on time and contribute to gas costs. Thanks! Florrie

Drysuit Requests for the Cold Water Clinic:

Katharine Ryan

WIll Burgess

Florrie Johnson

If your name isn't here, I'm not planning on bringing a drysuit for you. If you are coming to the clinic and need a loaner drysuit, let me know ASAP.

We have a very large group of participants signed up to attend the workshop. We can't add any more new participants to the list. If you have signed up and your name is NOT on the list, please e-mail me at once. suz at kayakne dot com

There are 29 attendees. 13 of those have attended a NSPN cold water workshop in the past. Please watch for a post on Saturday that will confirm that this will take place. Scott and I will be watching the weather carefully and will make a decision on Saturday and will post either way if it will take place or if it will cancel due to weather. We also may change the location of the workshop based on wind or weather. So stay tuned for more info!

Updated list of participants:

Joseph Rounds

Ron Totagrande

Katherine Ryan

Gene Cosloy

Jeff Charente

David Burgess

Will Burgess

David Mercer

Glenn Crowley

Bill Voss

Dee Cleary