Missing Kayaker in Swampscott

Bill Whalen

Not much on details except this: Saturday was a rough big surf day; the victim in question was not wearing a PFD and was out fishing. This last suggests a sit on top fishing boat or something similar and inappropriate for big conditions. Perhaps in the Spring NSPN will consider having a workshop that focuses on safety and makes a special effort to invite rec boaters, fishing boaters, sot's etc. They seem to be the ones most at risk due to lack of knowledge. I know we want to promote seakayaking exclusively but some of these paddlers are seakayaking with the wrong gear and knowledge and don't know it!

Gene,

Not to be insensitive but honestly, anyone that does the research enough to purchase a fishing kayak, and is an avid fisherman, knows that they should wear a life jacket but chooses not to simply because it's not comfortable. People make bad decisions all the time and sometimes it can bite them in the "you know what". It's unfortunate that this person aparently lost his life. Every year he hear reports like this but it's really not the responsibility of NSPN to educate the world. I don't think you can find an NSPNer that would paddle without his or her life vest on. I would like to believe that any salesperson that sells an SUP or other small watercraft would also have the incentive both financially and ethically to stress the importance of a life vest with said purchase.

Ultimately, bad consequesces can fall on the individual that does not make rational decisions. We all decide what our limitations are and take risks by our own choice.

Doug

Every year he hear reports like this but it really is not the responsibility of NSPN to educate the world.

My understanding is NSPN's 501c3 charter is about educating about kayak safety including wearing life jackets.

My understanding is NSPN's 501c3 charter is about educating about kayak safety including wearing life jackets.

Good topic for the upcoming Annual Meeting - what does the charter look like in action - are people happy with the amount of safety and other education being done by NSPN?

My understanding is NSPN'2 801c3 charter is about educating about kayak safety including wearing life jackets.

And we do educate our members and any other sea kayakers that wish to attend our seminars on this issue. I believe Gene is asking to broaden the scope of our attention beyond our specific target. He refers to (rec boaters, fishing boaters, sot's etc). We are a kayak club unless I am mistaken. Do people think that the fishing kayaker that aparantly lost his life was not aware of a PFD? And how many exclusive fishing kayakers are members of our club? None....

I think that having a SOT kayak is not the issue if one takes a few safety precautions. A Sit On Top Kayak is pretty much a big life jacket as long as you don't get separated from it. :-) I used to tether my paddle to the SOT when I used to paddle and surf. In the event of a capsize all I needed to make sure was that I keep holding onto my paddle (a good idea no matter what) and I was able to be reunited with my boat in no time.

My personal preference would be to wear a life jacket and to be tethered to the SOT. Of course that would be for normal paddling. If the guy was actually fishing in the tough conditions, holding his fishing rod and not the paddle - it would be easy to be separated from the boat. Not wearing a life jacket in this case is foolish.

Just another thought:If the membership and the board thinks that this might be a good idea; one could speak to the manager of promotions at say REI or EMS or CRC&K or my favorite Kittery Trading Post. They all sell and rent kayaks of all descriptions and uses. NSPN could set up a booth and provide information.

Just another thought:If the membership and the board thinks that this might be a good idea; one could speak to the manager of promotions at say REI or EMS or CRC&K or my favorite Kittery Trading Post. They all sell and rent kayaks of all descriptions and uses. NSPN could set up a booth and provide information.

I am not sure that anybody really want to spend their paddling time sitting in a booth (I know that I would rather be on the water in my free time). But the club has these great paddle smart packets. In the past they have been handed out and left with different retailers. I am attaching a version that I have, a newer version might exist but this is what I have.

SafetyInfo07.pdf

-Jason

Educating boaters on paddle safety is in the area of "outreach", which NSPN has traditionally done, some years more than others. In this last year our outreach activities were: the New to Kayakers workshop, staffing the MITA booth at the Kittery Paddlesports show , and staffing the Swimfin event in Salem. In the past we have staffed the REI demo day,(they haven't done this event in a couple of years) and LLBean paddlesports store days. At all these events, our paddler safety info brochures are available,and NSPNers staffing these events are there to talk about boater safety , among other things. So , in principle, NSPN supports and is committed to outreach: , the extent to which we are involved is largely a man/womanpower issue. For any initiative among our members , support is implicit, so any of our members who come forward, with an initiative to staff events or generate an event will definitely be supported. Outreach is on the agenda of a good number of Board meetings; how many events in which we may be involved , or the extent to which we may commit, is open and must be balanced with our other activities. (again, the man/womanpower issue ) Our priority, of course, is sharing knowledge amongst, and educating ourselves, and , secondarily, extending this dialogue to the larger kayak community of which we are a part. So., yes this is the kind of thing we support , the degree to which we are active in outreach is open to discussion and subject to the commitment of our members.

And we do educate our members and any other sea kayakers that wish to attend our seminars on this issue. I believe Gene is asking to broaden the scope of our attention beyond our specific target. He refers to (rec boaters, fishing boaters, sot's etc). We are a kayak club unless I am mistaken. Do people think that the fishing kayaker that aparantly lost his life was not aware of a PFD? And how many exclusive fishing kayakers are members of our club? None....

Just a side thought: Unfortunately, the generic term "kayak" is used by the media to refer to white water kayaks, recreational SIKs and SOTs, (even SUPs,) "fishing kayaks" and "real" sea kayaks. In many ways, there's a bigger difference between a real sea kayak and the others than there is between a sea kayak and a canoe or rowing shell. Not to be insensitive about the tragedy of any missing person in any type of watercraft, it's unfortunate for us sea kayakers to be lumped in with the others, especially the recreational kayaks and recreational fishing kayaks. Compared to the recreational kayakers, our sea kayaking sport is much more concerned about the skills, knowledge, and equipment needed for paddling on the open water. This is clearly demonstrated almost everyday with the NSPN posts. Note: Not to belittle the specialized fishing SOTs, Adam Bolonsky, the late Don Perry and I had been fishing from real sea kayaks and open water racing sea kayaks for years before the short and wide fishing kayaks were introduced. But the specialized fishing kayaks quickly took over the sport, ostensibly, because the buyers thought that there was little need for considerable knowledge and skills.