Around the New World in Seven Days - Newfoundland 2012

kate

John Martinsen, Phil and Lorrie Allen, and I traveled to Newfoundland to spend a week or so circumnavigating New World Island in north central Newfoundland. There are a lot of rocks, sometimes a lot of waves, often a lot of wind, and all too many times a lot of rain. In short, it was a splendid kayak camping trip. Please enjoy the photos and report here. Kate

Posted Image

Kate, I enjoyed your trip report immensely. Your ability to weave the story through pictures and words is amazing. Newfoundland has been on the list for a long time now. After reading your trip report, it has moved into the lineup for next year's big trip.

Many thanks!

Suz

As far as safety calls go, we had info for the Canadian Coast Guard, Twilingate Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and Mayor of Twillingate, who apparently is also the Harbor Master. Plus the ranger at Dildo Run Park gave us his cell and told us not to hesitate to call if necessary. We all carried Marine radios, and had a SPOT device to send messages to family and friends monitoring the trip. Fortunately, no need to use the emergency call numbers!

Pru, mosquitoes were surprisingly non-existent. With the exception of the wooded island we stayed on night 6. For some reason (I think because of the wind direction, they all flocked to my side (outside!) of the tent. I counted 50 clinging by my head. Told Phil I thought I was part of a new Alfred Hitchcock film entitled "The Mosquitos."

As far as safety calls go, we had info for the Canadian Coast Guard, Twilingate Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and Mayor of Twillingate, who apparently is also the Harbor Master. Plus the ranger at Dildo Run Park gave us his cell and told us not to hesitate to call if necessary. We all carried Marine radios, and had a SPOT device to send messages to family and friends monitoring the trip. Fortunately, no need to use the emergency call numbers!

Pru, mosquitoes were surprisingly non-existent. With the exception of the wooded island we stayed on night 6. For some reason (I think because of the wind direction, they all flocked to my side (outside!) of the tent. I counted 50 clinging by my head. Told Phil I thought I was part of a new Alfred Hitchcock film entitled "The Mosquitos."

There are also small fishing villages dotted here and there along the coast. I'm sure that if anyone was within radio distance, they would respond with help. The sense of community responsibility is strong there.

And we had a mindset of making good decisions for ourselves so that no such calls would be necessary. I'm always very conservative in remote places.

I found mosquitoes to be worst (and never very bad) in areas that were covered by nothing more than groundcover (juniper and crowberry or suchlike). I think they are boggy areas that provide standing water for breeding. The mosquito count was very location-specific.

k

Kate, I enjoyed your trip report immensely. Your ability to weave the story through pictures and words is amazing. Newfoundland has been on the list for a long time now. After reading your trip report, it has moved into the lineup for next year's big trip.

Many thanks!

Suz

I'm so pleased to hear it! And I wonder.... will you take a pie? :)

I'm so pleased to hear it! And I wonder.... will you take a pie? :)

Of course! Especially if Lorrie was going:) While I don't always bring pie, Lorrie does! I always bring some sort of home made baked goods that I vacuum seal so that transport is easier.

Did you like having real food or did you miss the simplicity of the boil and eat meals you are accustomed to?

Did you like having real food or did you miss the simplicity of the boil and eat meals you are accustomed to?

I certainly enjoy eating well, but I don't miss it if it isn't there. Too much effort for me to bother with, but if someone else wants to....

Suz, if you hadn't introduced me to the whole pie concept and showed me how hatches were just meant to carry one, I'd never have discovered! ;-) BTW, I hear you have a killer recipe for Vegan Brownies that travel well-you must share...

I think Kate would have preferred the simplicity of everyone doing their own thing with meals. For me, sharing the meals and seeing what everyone had in their bag was one of the highlights of the trip. As an ex-Knowles guide, John had some amazing tricks up his sleeve. A fry/bake pan that could make biscuits that really were more like scones, not to mention his fabulous upside down pineapple cake. Who knew such wonders were possible while camping? And Kate herself introduced us to the wonders of steamed cornbread dumplings, made fresh and served over chili.

Oh, transport me back a couple weeks in time, please!

I'm ready to go back already, even with all the driving and hassles of getting across big water on big ferries to a very big Island. The paddling is a diverse as you might expect for an island where it takes 10 hours to drive from east to west sides.

Phil

Nice trip report, photos et al. Happy Birthday...! (it's our "big birthday" this year also....)

Nice paddling location for your trip.

Been to Newfoundland a couple of times but never to paddle as yet and never to that region.

I remember cold July weather years ago

but mostly I remember...Cloudberry Pie...

and

Molasses on warm yummy bread

We remember the people not the 1st to start up a conversation but exceedingly friendly and helpful once the conversations get going.

The soil is so thin there that it was all about where to dig for worms if that was what you were looking for. Telephone calls were made....someone remembered some one who used to know someone who kept a garden...and they could call and see if you might be able to do some digging there...etc ...etc. Very kind and helpful.

I enjoyed the paradox between eating when paddling solo or travelin with others. I'm all freeze dry food..It's a done deal by the time others are just gearing up.....

but

........ for us ...next year, back to Sagenuay and Mingans... hopefully .with a guide who cooks.....

Congrats on a very nice trip and great report !!

Nice trip report, photos et al. Happy Birthday...! (it's our "big birthday" this year also....)

Nice paddling location for your trip.

Been to Newfoundland a couple of times but never to paddle as yet and never to that region.

I remember cold July weather years ago

but mostly I remember...Cloudberry Pie...

and

Molasses on warm yummy bread

We remember the people not the 1st to start up a conversation but exceedingly friendly and helpful once the conversations get going.

The soil is so thin there that it was all about where to dig for worms if that was what you were looking for. Telephone calls were made....someone remembered some one who used to know someone who kept a garden...and they could call and see if you might be able to do some digging there...etc ...etc. Very kind and helpful.

I enjoyed the paradox between eating when paddling solo or travelin with others. I'm all freeze dry food..It's a done deal by the time others are just gearing up.....

but

........ for us ...next year, back to Sagenuay and Mingans... hopefully .with a guide who cooks.....

Congrats on a very nice trip and great report !!

Your reflections exactly mirror the place and people. And the pie.

Back to Mingan next year? I've been thinking it might be worth a revisit too. You are going with Agaguk?

We went with ... Odyssee Minganie...last time. It was the 1st time we ever took a trip with an outfitter/guide, though we have used some for shuttles etc.

We found these folks with a nice review in Explore Magazine, Canada's outdoor magazine.

We had great luck with the guide and after years of visiting Quebec we were able to ask all sorts questions of things that had puzzled us for years .

We also learned what to look for and ask for in hiring a guide service...we were very lucky to have someone who grew up there, new where there is fresh water that are not listed in books, where there is warm swimming etc etc.

Seems the Mingans are divided into 3 regions with different Outfitter for each or go on your own as you did.

All boyfriends are "Chums" all girlfriends are "Blondes" So our guide and his blonde or she and her chum were our guides along with her parents made up the trip with us. It was a great trip.

Fresh vegies from their garden, smoked fish that they had done earlier in the season. Lot's of talk about the hydro projects and the damming of rivier Romaine.

One of the best things that they had was not only a chart of the Islands but also how the tides strike each Island in relation to the various stages of the tide and which portion of the shore or shoals for me that was invaluable info.

we always read your trip reports, also any info you might want just let us know.

Happy paddling