Folbot Aleut floor model - any tips?

I would think twice before going the folding boat route. I had a Folbot Cooper for about 4 years. It was a good boat and I had a lot of fun with it. But even when you get practiced at putting together and taking apart, it gets old having the extra delay before and after kayaking. I would usually end up keeping it set-up (and on the car top when kayaking regularly). Overall, a plastic or fiberglass kayak is just a lot easier, better performing, able to handle rougher launches and landings, etc. I would buy a plastic or glass kayak and keep it on top of the car with a lasso lock. If theft is really a significant probablility, insure it and maybe go for a used plastic boat so it doesn't hurt as much. A beat-up plastic boat will paddle fine and won't look very tempting.

I had my 1st Folbot while stationed on Guam 1967-69. lt performed very well and I had no difficulties with the boat. Now however with the supposed wisdom of age, I most definitely prefer a plastic or composite boat with a watertight compartment design. If one is paddling in the ocean in less than flat conditions one will capsize. Not all of us have the skill or the right boat to avoid ending up in the water, outside our craft. It is infinitely more possible to pump out a cockpit and be on one's way, than to deal with a completely submerged hull.

Tom