CAM Discussion #2 - Keeping Groups Together

rfolster

Why all the hand wringing over CAM? Since I go on so few NSPN paddles perhaps I just do not appreciate the problem. Might more imprtant questions about NSPN trips be:

1. Are there adequate trips which enable old and new members to mingle and mentor?

2. Are there trips in a variety of venues to appeal to a broad range of members?

3. Are there a range of trips to enable members to expand skills and experience?

4. Do paddlers feel encouraged to participate in trips and do they feel welcomed when they do?

5. Are trips adequately described so paddlers can ascertain if they would enjoy/benefit from participating?

I would like to believe if a range of paddlers go on a paddle and they have a common bond of club membership, then some folks would take the time to mentor others and some would take the opportunity to learn from others. If there are few if any opportunities for newer members to paddle with the more skilled paddlers, then it should come to no surprise that folks become experienced in and tend to paddle in ways that are viewed as not good paddling practices.

When someone achieves an award like BCU 4 or 3* everyone gives them accolades. Rightly so, but those people are valuable resources and others should give some value to their opinions, watch how they paddle, ask questions, and learn. And there should be opportunities for such exchanges on club paddles which also means the skilled paddlers need to paticipate.

Ed Lawson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ed,

Your description is how the NSPN used to roll maybe three or four seasons ago before the introduction of CAM. Personally I don't see that leader defined trips and CAM should be mutually exclusive to NSPN.