Stonington: Must See Locations?

My friend and I are planning to paddle around Isle Au Haut in a week or two. I wanted to know if there are any must see islands to explore on our way out there. Are there any spots to avoid because of boat traffic or conditions? Feel free to PM me or send an email if the islands are private or whatever. I've done some research on this but I'm interested in people's opinions.

Also, does Doliver island seem like it would be a decent place to camp? From what I've read it seems like it could be a bit small and boring but it's in a convenient spot for going around Isle Au Haut.

Thanks

Note: I am a MITA member. Yes, I've read the guidebook. Yes, I know about the policies regarding discussing private islands.

Doliver is a pretty exposed and small island. Not sure it would be all that great for more than one night. Keep in mind MITA can be "optimistic" about suitability for camping. Neat place though.

Ed Lawson

Avoid the island - which in one of my trip reports I dubbed Mosquito Hell Island - on Merchant Row just north of Isle au Haut on page 185 of the 2011 MITA guide! Hands down the buggiest and awfulest landing/launching that I've experienced thus far!

pru

Thanks for all of the responses. Currently considering camping the first night on one of the islands to the north of IAH (avoiding mosquito hell island, thanks Pru), and staying at Duck harbor on day 2 to do some exploring. That avoids having to stay at Doliver but reservations have to be mailed in to reserve a spot at Duck Harbor campground and we're not yet sure about what date we're going to get there. That makes things trickier.

Definitely going to do some hiking while we're there.

staying at Duck harbor on day 2 to do some exploring. .... but reservations have to be mailed in to reserve a spot at Duck Harbor campground and we're not yet sure about what date we're going to get there. That makes things trickier.

My impression has been that reservations at Duck Harbor are not easy to get on short notice so hope you have good luck. You should plan on visiting the village on IAH. If you can be there July 4 the parade is a great thing to be in or watch. If you do not get reservations, the MITA islands on the Merchant Row side of IAH are nice. You might want to talk to Old Quarry folks about camping options and current bug report. They tend to know about where the bugs are a problem on any given week.

Ed Lawson

Dustin,

You might want to consider camping on the MITA island described in the 2011 guide book on pages 192 and 193, it is my favorite place to camp. Be certain to visit the 2011 MITA guide book island described on page 196. Also, the non MITA island by the name of ********. You will find it on your nautical chart east of the others described above. Stonington is a wonderful area to explore and you can tuck in to the lee side of an island during windy days. Once you cross Merchant Row, you might want to consider the island described on page 186. Pru, Barry and I considered the island as a camp site last year due how close it is to IAH, but the ocean swells at the time would have made landing very difficult with our loaded boats. The MITA guide describes this as a potential problem and it is correct.

Have a great time!

Warren

Edited by jason
Was reported that the non MITA Island is a private island and needed to be removed from the post

Once you cross Merchant Row, you might want to consider the island described on page 186. Pru, Barry and I considered the island as a camp site last year due how close it is to IAH, but the ocean swells at the time would have made landing very difficult with our loaded boats. The MITA guide describes this as a potential problem and it is correct.

I know this sounds as if I am pompus jerk and perhaps I am, but may I suggest it isdefinitely not OK to talk about privately owned islands. Especially those not described in the MITA guide. Yes, folks, especially "natives", know about them and vistit them. They are special places for a reason and it is up to those who know about them to follow the "rules" even if we are "from away". Let others discover them as you discovered them and pray they understand the responsibilty that entails. To understand the dynamic and how rare it has become, I suggest reading the book the "Lobster Coast". Its like the great family run launch site in Muscongus Bay. They don't want it known except by word of mouth to others that will do the right thing and so most honor that by never mentioning it in a public forum. Even MITA follows the rules as shown by islands they deliberately do not show on the charts in the guide.

As for difficult landing in swell, I think I know the island although as requested by MITA I destrioy the prior year's guidebook and cannot check the 2011 guide. The trick is to find little pocket beaches/landing that might only be a few feet wide, but protected by ledges or rocks on the shore. Even if a swell is running, you can find little seams that provide safe landing there if you hunt them out. Nobody said it was easy, and that is why we go there.

Ed lawson

No offense meant and certainly not personal, but I feel stongly about the topic.

[TEXT DELTED]as requested by MITA I destrioy the prior year's guidebook and cannot check the 2011 guide. [TEXT DELETED}

I know that we should destroy the old books I think that since we can only post references to the island ie 2011 guide page 45, one needs to hold onto the books.

It might be nice if MITA was to add a way for members to looks up what was on page X of year XXXX book that way we don't need to have all of the versions of the book. I will mention it to Scott.

-Jason

Sorry for the late reply. One of those rare occasions that I've had to work multiple days in a row. Warren, I appreciate the tips. We'll probably have enough time to check out all of those islands. At the very least I'll be posting some photos after the trip.

Just this past weekend I was on a trip to Stonington area. What I found was that the mosquitoes were very light even on islands that should have been mosquito heaven. I think that things change from year to year. One island that we stayed at had NONE and it was wet and if I was a negative person, a bit dreary:) We got off the rocky landing area and walked up into the interior of the island and it was an enchanting area covered in beautiful green moss - over rocks, up trees. It made for a nice sleeping base. I thought for sure the bugs would be bad there but found nothing. I even set up a tarp under the trees for breakfast as it was raining really hard.

Bring a head net and clothes and you are prepared for anything. I am in the habit of using Sawyers Permithrin for my clothes and rarely do I need to spray any products on my skin.

I know that we should destroy the old books I think that since we can only post references to the island ie 2011 guide page 45, one needs to hold onto the books.

It might be nice if MITA was to add a way for members to looks up what was on page X of year XXXX book that way we don't need to have all of the versions of the book. I will mention it to Scott.

-Jason

I don't think that a reference should be made to an old book as that would discourage people from renewing their membership. Many an old member has re-used their old books and not bothered renewing. As if the purpose of the membersihp was just to buy the book.

BTW, after my recent trip, I found it is important to read the book each year. I was sloppy this year and ended up staying on an island before the NEW rule that asked you to stay off until July 1 (due to nesting Osprey). I didn't realize it until I was tucked inside my tent and reviewing the 2012 book on the island that had the new rule. Whoopsie. The Ospreys had already left though so I didn't feel as bad. I wouldn't have planned for that island though if I had read the book ahead of this trip.

I don't think that a reference should be made to an old book as that would discourage people from renewing their membership. Many an old member has re-used their old books and not bothered renewing. As if the purpose of the membersihp was just to buy the book.

BTW, after my recent trip, I found it is important to read the book each year. I was sloppy this year and ended up staying on an island before the NEW rule that asked you to stay off until July 1 (due to nesting Osprey). I didn't realize it until I was tucked inside my tent and reviewing the 2012 book on the island that had the new rule. Whoopsie. The Ospreys had already left though so I didn't feel as bad. I wouldn't have planned for that island though if I had read the book ahead of this trip.

I agree pages should be quoted from the 2012 book. My thought is that threads, post and trip reports that use the page numbers won't be of any use since the book isn't the same each year. If I want to read this thread and learn about the island in 2015:

You might want to consider camping on the MITA island described in the 2011 guide book on pages 192 and 193

I won't be able to. MITA don't want people to use island names or locations, which I agree with, but we need a way to talk about the MITA islands that doesn't expire. If the MITA online guide has a way to lookup the island by the year and page, it would only be available to members and would allow us to recycle or compost our old books. For now I have my MITA books going back to when they were bound like a paperback.

-Jason

Just this past weekend I was on a trip to Stonington area. What I found was that the mosquitoes were very light even on islands that should have been mosquito heaven.

Suz:

This is great to hear as I am leaving today to be in that area for a few days. Well, north and east actually, but hope it is the same.

Great tip about Green. There is an inlet on the SE as I recall with a trail to pond. Nice place to hang out. Another tip. The Mill Pond inlet on Crotch is a neat place to wander in a boat especially in the fog. Now for a long drive.

Seems a few days of fog are expected so that should be interesting as I'm a disciple of Huth's when it comes to using a GPS.

One last tip. The Jonesboro WX station as it is all marine or used to be, but pay attention to the zones. For around Stonington the intracoastal forecast might be most accurate when adjusted with land forecast. Trick is the coastal forecast starts to be relevant around IAH.

Ed Lawson

Suz:

This is great to hear as I am leaving today to be in that area for a few days. Well, north and east actually, but hope it is the same.

Alas the dearth of bugs did not extend to the islands we visited. Worse, they included the dreaded horse fly which will really chop on you.

Ed Lawson

With the crazy amount of people out for the fourth of July my friend and I were forced to stay overnight on mosquito hell island. It was as bad as described. My friend renamed it to West Nile Island. He's certain that the mosquitos were biting him through his wetsuit.

With the crazy amount of people out for the fourth of July my friend and I were forced to stay overnight on mosquito hell island. It was as bad as described. My friend renamed it to West Nile Island. He's certain that the mosquitos were biting him through his wetsuit.

We were covered with blood there. Nice to see that some things never change! My sympathies - and may none of us ever have to camp there again!

pru