Lower Hell's Gate, Maine Predictions

EEL

Curious if anyone else has found the NOAA current predicitons for Lower Hell's Gate off and if so by how much.

I believe I read in the documnetation for X tide that its results were different by NOAA's based on local knowledge, but cannot find reference. Anyway, over the past two years what I found and what was predicted seemed to be off by at least 30 Min and wondered if others have had same experience.

Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Curious if anyone else has found the NOAA current predicitons for Lower Hell's Gate off and if so by how much.

I believe I read in the documnetation for X tide that its results were different by NOAA's based on local knowledge, but cannot find reference. Anyway, over the past two years what I found and what was predicted seemed to be off by at least 30 Min and wondered if others have had same experience.

Thanks.

Ed Lawson

Tide and current predictions are often innacurate. There are lots of reasons, some static, like the complexity of the local environment which defies accurate modelling (all tide predictions are based on models which are inherently inaccurate, just usually not off enough to notice) -- and some dynamic, like wind, storms, changes in topography, sunspots (just kidding) etc. I'd think Hell's Gate falls into the complexity category. Local knowledge can compensate for static errors and give you some help in dealing with dynamic variances.