Ladies Paddle 06/10

Katherine

A bevy of beautiful babes in boats launched from Odiorne Pt this AM. There were 14 (?) of us and we split into two pods with Lorrie heading up the second group. In true CAM fashion leadership was fluid. We all meandered down the coast to Wallis Sands for lunch and we enjoyed a wonderful lunch with especially delicious rhubarb bars that were quite tasty.

We launched for Wallis Sands with some of us trying the "cork" method of launching in surf. Some were more successful than others and Suz graciously did the first (and the only one necessary) rescue of the day.

On the way back we crossed paths a few gentlemen NSPNers. Our "other" group went to explore the lighthouse while we went inside the harbor and had fun with rescues and boat handling skills. We returned, loaded boats, debriefed and drove into the sunshine.

Special thanks to Suz for her assistance, Lorrie for stepping up with the speedy group and Julie for being our pace-setter.

Special mention to Gay who drove 200 miles round trip to paddle with us.

It was the kind of day were you say to yourself, "I love my life."

Thanks to all of you for your companionship, positive attitudes and adventurous spirits.

Katherine, thank you for posting the trip and organizing-great job! Beautiful day on the water with good company. Special thanks also to Kate for assisting our group and setting the pace with her Greenland paddle. And thanks for all the treats the ladies brought-especially the awesome rhubarb squares baked by Gay.

It was a lovely day on the water with a great group of ladies to paddle with. Special thanks to Katherine for coordinating and Lorrie and Suz for their leadership. Perfect weather too!

Gay

It was a great day on the water and actually felt like summer has arrived! Nice to be able to paddle in a rash guard AND do rescues.

I'm thinking that Katherine might need to put ladies paddles on the schedule to do monthly. Bet she could!

It was a great day on the water and actually felt like summer has arrived! Nice to be able to paddle in a rash guard AND do rescues.

I'm thinking that Katherine might need to put ladies paddles on the schedule to do monthly. Bet she could!

Based on the turnout we've seen on both this trio and the one Les posted a couple years ago, there certainly seems to be interest. I would be happy to assist with some additional trips, schedule permitting.

Katherine, thank you very much for arranging this paddle. It was a great introductory NSPN trip for me! I've posted the pictures that came out OK on Flickr. I hope everyone can see them there. If there's another way that folks typically share pictures I can do it that way as well.

Susan

trying very hard to not make a joke about Ladies paddles being held monthly.... ;-)

Okay, I'm game ~ check out the trip board, please ~ I will need assistance... I am open to alternative launch suggestions although I liked a 10:00 briefing, 10:30 launch return around 3 or 3:30.

Susan, can you post a link to the pics? :douglas:

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

I don't know what the "cork" method refers to. Would one of you please explain? Thanks in advance.

It isn't complicated but just launching backwards with your legs out of the boat. I explained it is like putting a cork in the cockpit and prevents the waves from filling your boat. Paddle outside of the breaking waves and put your skirt on. Allows you to have a dry boat.

It isn't complicated but just launching backwards with your legs out of the boat. I explained it is like putting a cork in the cockpit and prevents the waves from filling your boat. Paddle outside of the breaking waves and put your skirt on. Allows you to have a dry boat.

Funny, I was thinking of cork in the sense of a very lightweight object bobbing wildly. Your meaning involves the plugging function instead! Thank you.