Forward Stroke Article

Interesting idea -- use the forward sweep as an initial model for the forward stroke. Morph the sweep into a forward stroke by changing paddle angle and blade placement, but still using the same hip/torso dynamics. Sounds like it might work.

I have done something similar in teaching forward stroke for a few years, but statically, not via the forward sweep. This seems worth trying.

Except... many (most?) students might say fairly soon -- you mean I've got to go to those extremes of hip twisting with every stroke. One way or another, I find it often comes down to that -- too "unnatural", too much work, too much concentration -- not worth it -- I'll stick with my old, relaxed style, even if it's less efficient, gives me less power, less range.

Found a nice article on forward stroke technique in the latest issue of the Journal of Paddlesport Education (SEI):

http://issuu.com/_aca/docs/jpe_5.12?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222

Matt

Thanks for the link. It's a good article. Fortunately (I guess), it didn't include anything on feather angles, thus averting yet another heated discussion here.

Leon

PS

Good luck to all of us NSPN-ers that are competing in Saturday's Essex River Race.

And Leon loves a heated discussion! (As do I, myself, I might add) ;^)

Shh!

Found a nice article on forward stroke technique in the latest issue of the Journal of Paddlesport Education (SEI):

http://issuu.com/_aca/docs/jpe_5.12?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222

Matt

Very interesting, particularly to a "paddler" like myself who following initial canoe paddling guidelines provided by the Buy Scouts in the 60s has progressed from that point to what is today apparently a novice position. Over the years, I have cautiously involved myself with the water/sea without mishap. I definitely, and without reservation appreciate the level of knowledge and experience NSPN offers. However, some of you folks do appear to be a bit over emphasized when it comes to an activity that really for most of the population is a simply enjoyable pursuit. As much as I in my retired situation I have focused on kayaking, it is truly for me, just one significant one part of my life. I am very happy for you all, but wonder if You making kayaking and other physically demanding pursuits an obsession is a positive situation? Wish I had your stamina!

Tom

...but wonder if You making kayaking and other physically demanding pursuits an obsession is a positive situation? Wish I had your stamina!

Tom

Point well taken. But in fact, a "correct" forward stroke greatly increases your "stamina" in the sense of how far you can paddle (and how fast, when the limitation is tiring out). All too often have I watched very strong (muscularly speaking), well-conditioned paddlers flag way before they had to because of arm paddling, sometimes embarrassingly so. When I (finally) figured out more-or-less correct form, my range took an immediate upward leap of well over 30%.

Point well taken. But in fact, a "correct" forward stroke greatly increases your "stamina" in the sense of how far you can paddle (and how fast, when the limitation is tiring out). All too often have I watched very strong (muscularly speaking), well-conditioned paddlers flag way before they had to because of arm paddling, sometimes embarrassingly so. When I (finally) figured out more-or-less correct form, my range took an immediate upward leap of well over 30%.

Guess I'll continue to enjoy my less than contemporary novice status. Not too old to learn, but definitely too old to be concerned.LOL

Tom

Tom,

You raise some good points. However, the NSPN membership is not all in lockstep with skill building, training and the benefits of professional coaching. Many of us,I think the majority, do take the activity more casually. Its really only the same usual suspects that hold forth on some of these technically exasperating posts. (Bless them!) I will add however that when the subject of safe paddling practice comes up, many of the exhaustive posts on the subject are worth reading and are a tribute to the socially responsible nature of those posting. Happy paddling!

Very interesting, particularly to a "paddler" like myself who following initial canoe paddling guidelines provided by the Buy Scouts in the 60s has progressed from that point to what is today apparently a novice position. Over the years, I have cautiously involved myself with the water/sea without mishap. I definitely, and without reservation appreciate the level of knowledge and experience NSPN offers. However, some of you folks do appear to be a bit over emphasized when it comes to an activity that really for most of the population is a simply enjoyable pursuit. As much as I in my retired situation I have focused on kayaking, it is truly for me, just one significant one part of my life. I am very happy for you all, but wonder if You making kayaking and other physically demanding pursuits an obsession is a positive situation? Wish I had your stamina!

Tom

Tom,

Methinks thou protests much too much. Kayaking is a sport that requires some training but which you can do at any level that suits you, from easy to extreme. You should paddle the way you want to. Read or ignore the technically oriented articles. You think posting an article on the forward stroke is an obsession; some of us think it’s just enthusiasm for our hobby. There’s nothing wrong with striving for perfection as there is nothing wrong being satisfied with your present capability. To each his own. Just be thankful that there were others before you to help develop the skills that you now use. You need never stop learning.

Respectfully,

Leon