Children's Island pre-CAM practice session

rylevine

Went out yesterday with Blaine for a impromptu pre-CAM rock play and practice session from Forest River to Children's Island. Expecting to do some H2O orienteering, but fog lifted. Not a pleasant weather day - cloudy and 50 degrees, but winds were a moderate 10 mph from the east, so it was easy to find on-shore conditions. 1-3 foot chop with 3 foot swells. First checked out an excellent rock garden off Marblehead that I discovered last week in a mini-Tsunami Ranger moment (another story). There is a huge boulder protecting a reasonably wide passage against a sloping rock face crowned by the typical mansion. After noodling around there for a while, paddled over to Children's. The pounding on the outside SE ledges, while visually stunning, looked a little over our pay grade, so we stopped for lunch on the NE beach to consider where to practice. Found some good areas further westward towards Beverly: on-shore winds and swells, relatively safe backdrop, and still 1-3 foot chop and swells. Conditions that were not dangerous, but also not too easy. Tried out toggle tows, cowboys, t-rescues, and contact tows. Some conclusions:

1. We needed to toggle tow quite a distance for the swimmer to get away from the rocks to an area safe for a t-rescue. I found it much easier to paddle forward, if possible. I realize that we all have strong back paddling muscles, but for some reason my progress was slower. Also, common sense says to tow in a direction that avoids the winds and wave forces, again if possible. Made a huge difference, and was entirely doable with the slope of Children's coastline. Do not underestimate the distance needed to clear rocks. On our first attempt we were back on the rocks, and just barely had time to complete the t-rescue.

2. Disappointed with my short tow line (2-3 ft) in these conditions. Boats really got bumped around when using it to pull "disabled" paddler to safety off rocks. Needed to use the longer tow line.

3. Do not let go of the boat. We tested whether a swimmer has any chance to catch the kayak in these conditions. Answer: No!

4. "Is this really practice?" Blaine, being Blaine, did his usual totally impressive cowboy, so Bob, being Bob, decided to give it a go. Aside: as a general rule you should practice your weakest self-rescue - what is the point of doing stuff that you know will succeed? Anyway, it turned oddly serious, when in the process of laddering up the deck, I discovered myself tethered to the back of the kayak. I have this habit of not tethering my hatch covers, and leaving their tethers just wrapped under the bungies. My covers are rock solid, and it is a pain to constantly mess with the tether lines especially in the rush to launch. We are talking about a 4 inch line with a small clip. Well, that ended up clipping onto my dry suit, vest, or tow belt as I did the ladder. After getting flipped off the boat, now upside down, I found myself impossibly hooked onto my hatch cover! Luckily there was enough slack that I could consider the situation while breathing. A yank downward would take the back cover off, spilling out my hypo kit and other stuff (not to mention my wallet). Also, the hatch would fill with water. It was impossible to work the tether free while bouncing around in that chop. Yanking in the other direction could damage my dry suit, or where ever the thing was hooked. Well the solution was Blaine's trusty knife, but to be honest, fooling around with a knife in those conditions and cold water is never fun. It did the trick, and for the record, I did manage to cowboy in afterwards so I guess a victory of sorts. This is the third time I've seen unexpected entanglements in the past 5 years.....so if it can entangle - it will!

We then headed back with pleasant following seas and a tail wind. Did some more rolling practice near the cars at Forest River to end the day.

Bob

Nice report Bob; glad things worked out. If there's a need for a rescue near rocks it's worth considering just putting the person back in their boat, full of water or not, and have them paddle to the safe zone to do the T-rescue. If the paddler/boat isn't real stable with a cockpit full of water, do a contact/supported tow to safety and rescue. I've never found the toggle tow to be fast and efficient, even if might be the safest thing to do at that point. The problem to putting them back in the boat full with water is that they might fall out again, hopefully farther from the rocks.

If when you want to do this again, I'd love to join you. Schedule's a lot more flexible for the summer.

Phil

Nice report Bob; glad things worked out. If there's a need for a rescue near rocks it's worth considering just putting the person back in their boat, full of water or not, and have them paddle to the safe zone to do the T-rescue. If the paddler/boat isn't real stable with a cockpit full of water, do a contact/supported tow to safety and rescue. I've never found the toggle tow to be fast and efficient, even if might be the safest thing to do at that point. The problem to putting them back in the boat full with water is that they might fall out again, hopefully farther from the rocks.

Phil,

I agree that the toggle tow is not the best, but to help someone into their boat you have to raft up. As you point out, that may be a less safe choice with breaking swells close to rocks. An alternative is that if the swimmer is OK, he/she can swim out or ride out on another paddler's boat (while a third retrieves the empty kayak). That would require a third paddler - which you are certainly welcome to be the next time! I'll try to at least post a show-and-go next time. Thanks.

Bob

As you were two and "always three shall ye be" you could not try the following but it bears mentioning nevertheless. If you have three (or more) you put a line on the rescuer and use the line to keep the rescuer, swimmer, and second boat m safe from the rocks. This is how Roger and I rescued someone who was inadequately dressed one spring day on the back side of Baker's, then swooped back in to gather the various bits of custom outfitting that had floated away.

Thank you Bob for this refreshing post. Good things reported and to think about. I commend you both, as if that matters, for reporting and getting out there and doing stuff.

2. Disappointed with my short tow line (2-3 ft) in these conditions.

My approach to this is to chain a longer line to about 2" so if necessary I have a longer contact tow to make it easier to paddle with a boat close, less banging about, etc.

One thing I have played with is using the contact tow as a way to secure a paddle during a rescue. Just clip tow on itself after around shaft. Not much help for a GP.

I would be interested in how useful you find it if you play with it some time..

when in the process of laddering up the deck, I discovered myself tethered to the back of the kayak....so if it can entangle - it will!

My prejudical view is when you are in a boat, there are few things as dangerous as a loose line and some tool for cutting lines should always be at hand. It was a potentially dangerous situation and shows just how fast and easily thing can go wrong.

Other $.02 is when there are only two of you, being able to judge how far you need to get from the nasty stuff before doing rescue is important if you are being blown or driven by current into the nasty stuff because nobody to help hold you off as others suggested. Tends to provide a definition for fast, but deliberate action. Also, every incident is different so not sure there are general rules, but I prefer getting everyone/thing into relatively benign waters before getting folks back in boat.

Ed Lawson

My approach to this is to chain a longer line to about 2" so if necessary I have a longer contact tow to make it easier to paddle with a boat close, less banging about, etc.

One thing I have played with is using the contact tow as a way to secure a paddle during a rescue. Just clip tow on itself after around shaft. Not much help for a GP.

I would be interested in how useful you find it if you play with it some time..

Hi Ed,

Yes. We've also been thinking about securing paddles. I had a velcro strip on an earlier short tow line, but found that it was complicating the t-rescues. Blaine mentioned the possibility a velcro strip off the spray skirt. Last year, I threaded wood balls through the far deck line for the front of the paddle to slip under, and then secure the back of the paddle through a bungie. That works well for my paddle, but I found that I have to use the deck line on the other side for the swimmer's paddle because the line is too tight - and that sort of interferes with my spare GP (on the front deck), especially if the swimmer's paddle has a large feather angle.....the complications! Will try using the short tow for the paddles. Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

I'm glad you survived your entanglement. Cautionary tales about the stupidest-little-things-that-you-would-never-anticipate that might go wrong are instructive. But I always wondered why you feel the need to detach your hatch covers when you transport your boat; just leave 'em tethered in - especially when you're just driving a ways down the road to get to your launch spot.

pru

Hi Pru,

The kayak is a little lighter without the hatch covers, easier to wash after paddle, easier to treat with 303, hatch covers go into the basement between paddles so less exposure, less likely to forget about outside/inside pressure differential (mostly for pool sessions).....no major reason. Force of habit?

Bob

...That works well for my paddle, but I found that I have to use the deck line on the other side for the swimmer's paddle because the line is too tight - and that sort of interferes with my spare GP (on the front deck), especially if the swimmer's paddle has a large feather angle.....the complications!

Hah! Another reason to feather not. (Just kidding ;-))).

--David